Warnings issued over council tax rebate scam promising quick payment
- Credit: PA
Members of the public are being warned of a scam that promises to quickly deliver them their council tax rebate.
The £150 rebate, which is aimed to help people with the cost of living crisis, is currently being processed by local councils.
Those who are getting the payment are due to begin receiving it this month.
But as people wait, scammers are exploiting people by posing as council staff and promising to send people money immediately.
The scam comes in the form of a phone call, attempting to obtain personal financial information such as card details or bank information.
Some local councils and charities are warning people of the scam.
On its website, charity Age UK said: "We have become aware of a scam phone calls and an email circulating, concerning the £150 Council Tax rebate recently announced by the Chancellor.
- 1 Man dies after Romford car park incident
- 2 'Close-knit, nurturing, family environment': Upminster school rated 'excellent'
- 3 Vacant Gidea Park computer shop could become home to new takeaway
- 4 'Turning point': Labour celebrates first councillor elected in Romford area in 24 years
- 5 Bid to turn 40-year-old Harold Wood shop into three-bedroom house
- 6 Experts warn of invasive concrete-cracking weed and reveals hotspots
- 7 Gallows Corner Tesco: Appeal looms against decision to reject controversial car park development
- 8 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 9 Children 'not kept safe' and staff 'oblivious to hazards' : Inadequate-rated nursery retains rating
- 10 Final Havering ward election result announced after three counts
"People are being asked to give their bank details to receive the rebate.
"Local councils say they would never cold call or email and ask for your bank details to make the payment.
"Do not give out your details."
Citizens Advice has an online scam helper which can provide advice that is specific and helpful to your situation.
You can also call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline via 0808 223 1133 to report suspected scams.