Kids TV presenter who killed two people jailed for 'reckless and selfish' driving
- Credit: Metropolitan Police
A former children's TV presenter who killed two people in Harold Wood has been branded "reckless and selfish."
He has been jailed for nine years.
Ballard was also convicted of raping a woman in a hotel following a trial at Chelmsford Crown Court and is awaiting sentence for that offence
The former presenter of GMTV's Diggit programme from 1998 to 2002 was driving at up to 104 mph with his 12-year-old son in the car when he smashed into his victims in Squirrels Heath Road in February last year.
Tests revealed he had taken a "significant amount" of cocaine before the smash.
DI Julie Trodden, of the Roads and Transport Policing Command said: “This horrific collision, involving multiple vehicles, occurred from Ballard’s sheer reckless and selfish driving.
You may also want to watch:
“His actions that afternoon were totally unnecessary and have taken two people’s lives, causing unimaginable sorrow to two families.
“My deepest sympathies remain with Eileen and Richard’s families."
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 3 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 4 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 7 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 8 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 9 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 10 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds