Pair handed court bill of £2,000 for underage alcohol sale
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Two off-licence workers won’t be getting a round in anytime soon after being fined for selling alcohol to underage people.
Dogan Albay and Tayfun Albay were slapped with a bill of more than £2,000 between them when they appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court last week.
The sales took place in 2013 at Albay Food and Wine in Mawney Road, Romford, where Dogan Albay is the licence holder and Tayfun Albay is a supervisor.
The first sale took place on April 11, when a vodka-based drink was sold to a 16-year-old volunteer. The seller failed to ask the buyer for their age or identification and was issued with a fixed penalty notice for the offence.
Officers from Havering’s Trading Standards visited the trader on April 17 to discuss the failure and provide advice on how to prevent underage sales.
Then, on July 6, the premises was revisited with another volunteer, also 16. They were sold lager without being asked for their age or identification. The seller on this occasion was identified as Tayfun Albay, the designated premises supervisor for the shop.
Cllr Wendy Brice-Thompson, cabinet member for health, said: “We take this kind of offence seriously. We provide training and advice to retailers to prevent underage sales so this should not have happened on two occasions.
- 1 Mother's agony after daughter laid dead in Hornchurch flat for six weeks
- 2 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 3 Parking restricted at country park as work starts on Covid woodland memorial
- 4 Scrap 'ludicrous' mandatory vaccination policy, says Rosindell
- 5 Isla Caton 'gains her angel wings' after five-year cancer battle
- 6 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 7 'Use it or lose it': More sign-ups needed to save food delivery service
- 8 Romford tree protest cancelled after campaign success
- 9 Deputy mayor steps in to mark first Covid-19 memorial tree in Havering
- 10 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
“We don’t want any shops in the borough selling alcohol to underage children and we will continue to work hard to prevent this.”
Both pleaded guilty to the offences under the Licensing Act 2003. Dogan Albay, of Mawney Road, was fined £500, ordered to pay £605 in costs and a victim Surcharge of £27, a total of £1,132.
Tayfun Albay, of Forest Gardens, Tottenham, was fined £265, ordered to pay £600 costs and a victim surcharge of £27, a total of £892.