Pair handed court bill of £2,000 for underage alcohol sale
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Two off-licence workers won’t be getting a round in anytime soon after being fined for selling alcohol to underage people.
Dogan Albay and Tayfun Albay were slapped with a bill of more than £2,000 between them when they appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court last week.
The sales took place in 2013 at Albay Food and Wine in Mawney Road, Romford, where Dogan Albay is the licence holder and Tayfun Albay is a supervisor.
The first sale took place on April 11, when a vodka-based drink was sold to a 16-year-old volunteer. The seller failed to ask the buyer for their age or identification and was issued with a fixed penalty notice for the offence.
Officers from Havering’s Trading Standards visited the trader on April 17 to discuss the failure and provide advice on how to prevent underage sales.
You may also want to watch:
Then, on July 6, the premises was revisited with another volunteer, also 16. They were sold lager without being asked for their age or identification. The seller on this occasion was identified as Tayfun Albay, the designated premises supervisor for the shop.
Cllr Wendy Brice-Thompson, cabinet member for health, said: “We take this kind of offence seriously. We provide training and advice to retailers to prevent underage sales so this should not have happened on two occasions.
- 1 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 2 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage
- 3 Shopkeepers and customers celebrate as Romford high streets reopen
- 4 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 5 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 6 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
- 7 Elm Park pays tribute to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 Heritage: Mystery of the moated mound on Romford Hill
- 9 Five-year-old Ezra cycles 500km for charity
- 10 New Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre set to open
“We don’t want any shops in the borough selling alcohol to underage children and we will continue to work hard to prevent this.”
Both pleaded guilty to the offences under the Licensing Act 2003. Dogan Albay, of Mawney Road, was fined £500, ordered to pay £605 in costs and a victim Surcharge of £27, a total of £1,132.
Tayfun Albay, of Forest Gardens, Tottenham, was fined £265, ordered to pay £600 costs and a victim surcharge of £27, a total of £892.