Hornchurch mother and daughter admit obstructing police officer searching for stolen moped

Photo: MPS

Photo: MPS - Credit: MPS

A mother and her teenage daughter who both tried to stop a police officer from searching their home for a stolen moped pleaded guilty at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday morning (Tuesday, October 2).

The pair, who cannot be named for legal reasons, both admitted charges of obstructing a police officer after the incident on September 17.

The teenager also admitted using threatening or abusive words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of unlawful violence.

The court heard how, believing a stolen moped was either inside their house or in its garden, police were granted a court order to search the home in Hornchurch.

However, on arrival the mother, who is in her 30s, angrily shut the door in a Pc’s face.

After officers forced their way in, the girl screamed at one to get out of the house, before tearing off his bodyworn camera.

The officer in question, who was forced to push the girl out of the way to continue the search of the premises, received no serious injuries.

Most Read

The court heard how the teenager, who has had no previous run-ins with the law, “panicked” and “showed her naivety” as she berated the Pc attempting to search her home.

Magistrates handed her a three-month referral order, and she will have to attend youth offending team meetings with her father. Her parents were also ordered to pay a £20 victim surcharge on her behalf.

In court, the mother accepted she had obstructed an officer in the execution of his duty but argued the stress of the situation had made her react in such a manner.

Her solicitor Adekunle Tijani told the court: “Police officers began banging on her door in an aggressive manner and she panicked.

“She has never been in contact with the police before in her life.

“We’re not talking about a woman with previous convictions or a lady who is an incompetent mother - this was a one-off incident.”

She was granted a conditional discharge lasting one year, and was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £20.