Moped rider mounts pavement in Hornchurch town centre and snatches handbag from 17-year-old girl
- Credit: Archant
A “distraught” 17-year-old wants to send out a warning after she was a victim of a terrifying afternoon bag snatch.
Summer Le Conte, 17, had her handbag taken on Friday while walking down High Street, Hornchurch, at 4.45pm.
The teenager had just visited the post office after a completing a day of work experience.
She was walking to her grandad’s car just down the road when she suddenly heard an engine revving behind her.
“He drove up slowly behind me as I didn’t hear him,” Summer said.
You may also want to watch:
“All of a sudden I heard the start of his moped and then there was a violent yank on my arm to notice he’s snatched my bag.
“I ran after him and got in my grandad’s car and tried to chase them but we couldn’t find them.”
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 8 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
- 9 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 10 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
Summer now wants others to be aware after being left shaken by the ordeal.
“It took me hours to get to sleep on Friday, any engine sound or a random car outside now makes me nervous,” she added.
“I actually don’t know how they can sleep at night picking on vulnerable people.
“I want others to know what happened so they can’t get away with it again.”
After the theft happened, Summer took to Facebook to tell people of what had happened to her.
Within 15 minutes she received a message from someone else who had witnessed two moped riders attempting to take a man’s laptop bag outside Gidea Park Station earlier that afternoon.
She believes the duo targeted her after she noticed them slowly driving close to the post office before entering.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Police were called to High Street, Hornchurch, at around 4.45pm on Friday to a report of a theft.
“The victim, a 17-year-old female, was walking along High Street when an unknown suspect on a moped snatched her handbag.
“The suspect then made off in the company of another moped rider.”
No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue.