‘Millions of wasps send people running for cover in Romford town centre’, according to reports
- Credit: Archant
There are reports that a huge swarm of wasps is plaguing Romford town centre this afternoon.
According to resident Reece Farrow-Mansary “millions” of the black and yellow flying beasts have been sending people running for cover in Western Road.
He added: “People are running through the street with umbrellas trying to avoid the wasps!”
Havering Council confirmed it had received a number of phone calls about bees rather than wasps in the town but a spokesman said dealing with them fell outside its remit.
However, the spokesman added that the Essex Beekeeping Society was sending someone to investigate.
The reports come on the back of news that a swarm of bees was scaring shoppers and commuters near Victoria station this morning.
The band of insects - rumoured to be tens of thousands strong - was hovering outside Topshop and Monsoon in Victoria Street,
- 1 Romford pair to 'bring a little bit of raving' to 'more mature' Hornchurch community
- 2 Watch: Brawl erupts on Heath Park street outside pub
- 3 Man, 52, found with head injuries in Hornchurch
- 4 'The smell is foul': Brigade called to more than 70 fires at Rainham site since 2018
- 5 Bid to turn Harold Wood motor shop into three-bedroom home refused by council
- 6 Unvaccinated patients may need to take Covid tests for hospital appointments as cases rise
- 7 Application to open Papa John's takeaway in Hornchurch
- 8 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 9 Teen taken to hospital as 'priority' after being stabbed in Rainham
Gavin Dollin tweeted: “The bees in Victoria St, London really seem to love TopShops new offers!”
The plague appeared around 9am and a picture of beekeepers attending the scene was tweeted at 10.20am.
Witnesses said that shopowners in the area shut their doors and commuters stayed indoors until the swarm moved on. In Topshop, shoppers were led through the back door to escape the bees.
Did you see the wasps/bees in Romford or get any pictures? Email email@example.com or call 020 8477 3878