‘Millions of wasps send people running for cover in Romford town centre’, according to reports
- Credit: Archant
There are reports that a huge swarm of wasps is plaguing Romford town centre this afternoon.
According to resident Reece Farrow-Mansary “millions” of the black and yellow flying beasts have been sending people running for cover in Western Road.
He added: “People are running through the street with umbrellas trying to avoid the wasps!”
Havering Council confirmed it had received a number of phone calls about bees rather than wasps in the town but a spokesman said dealing with them fell outside its remit.
However, the spokesman added that the Essex Beekeeping Society was sending someone to investigate.
You may also want to watch:
The reports come on the back of news that a swarm of bees was scaring shoppers and commuters near Victoria station this morning.
The band of insects - rumoured to be tens of thousands strong - was hovering outside Topshop and Monsoon in Victoria Street,
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 5 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 6 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 7 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 8 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 9 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
Gavin Dollin tweeted: “The bees in Victoria St, London really seem to love TopShops new offers!”
The plague appeared around 9am and a picture of beekeepers attending the scene was tweeted at 10.20am.
Witnesses said that shopowners in the area shut their doors and commuters stayed indoors until the swarm moved on. In Topshop, shoppers were led through the back door to escape the bees.
Did you see the wasps/bees in Romford or get any pictures? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3878