‘Millions of wasps send people running for cover in Romford town centre’, according to reports
- Credit: Archant
There are reports that a huge swarm of wasps is plaguing Romford town centre this afternoon.
According to resident Reece Farrow-Mansary “millions” of the black and yellow flying beasts have been sending people running for cover in Western Road.
He added: “People are running through the street with umbrellas trying to avoid the wasps!”
Havering Council confirmed it had received a number of phone calls about bees rather than wasps in the town but a spokesman said dealing with them fell outside its remit.
However, the spokesman added that the Essex Beekeeping Society was sending someone to investigate.
You may also want to watch:
The reports come on the back of news that a swarm of bees was scaring shoppers and commuters near Victoria station this morning.
The band of insects - rumoured to be tens of thousands strong - was hovering outside Topshop and Monsoon in Victoria Street,
- 1 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 4 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 5 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 6 Captain Sam Roberts bids farewell and thanks Romford Junior Raiders
- 7 Men fined following New Year's Eve rave in Brentwood
- 8 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 9 'My girls aren't sleeping': Harold Hill family searching for Pog the dog
- 10 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
Gavin Dollin tweeted: “The bees in Victoria St, London really seem to love TopShops new offers!”
The plague appeared around 9am and a picture of beekeepers attending the scene was tweeted at 10.20am.
Witnesses said that shopowners in the area shut their doors and commuters stayed indoors until the swarm moved on. In Topshop, shoppers were led through the back door to escape the bees.
Did you see the wasps/bees in Romford or get any pictures? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3878