Man warns of attempted ‘dog snatch’ in Romford
A concerned dog owner is warning others to be careful when walking their pooches in Romford after claiming two strangers tried to snatch one of his dogs.
Stephen Mitchell, 36, had unleashed terrier crosses Max, five, and Boris, three, in Lodge Farm Park, last Saturday afternoon at around 3pm, when he says they were approached by a young couple.
The pair, both in their 20s, “bent down and stroked” the animals when the man made a grab for one.
Said Stephen: “He turned to the girl and said ‘do you want a free dog?’, he then reached out to grab one of them. Luckily I had heard what he said and quickly managed to pull my dog away from him.”
Shocked Stephen said the pair then legged it in the direction of Romford Town Centre.
You may also want to watch:
“If the dogs had been out with my mum I dread to think what the outcome would have been,” said Stephen, from Romford. “Our dogs are dearly loved members of our family and if either of them were stolen like this, we would be devastated.
“Please be vigilant of who is paying attention to your pets while you are out with them. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else, as the outcome could be unthinkable.”
- 1 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 2 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 3 Heritage: Mystery of the moated mound on Romford Hill
- 4 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 5 Plans submitted for Rainham Lidl
- 6 Romford mum's success setting up children's clothing business amid pandemic
- 7 Four weeks' free parking for Havering shoppers as high streets reopen
- 8 Covid-19: What's opening and what can you do on April 12?
- 9 Police unit for 'high-harm' crimes tackles hike in domestic incidents
- 10 New Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre set to open
Stephen, who has yet to report the incident to police, said his mother - in her 70s - is now too frightened to walk the dogs alone.
He added: “It is typical of the type of people you saw looting at the weekend. The ‘I’ll take what I want generation’. Where will it end?”
The man was black and his girlfriend white. They were both wearing tracksuits, according to Stephen.