Man wanted after police officer assaulted in Chigwell and police car stolen and driven to Romford
- Credit: Essex Police
A man is being sought by police after an officer was assaulted and his police car, containing a police dog, stolen.
The police officer was conducting a breath test on the roadside after a single vehicle collision involving a grey BMW in Pudding lane, Chigwell on October 31 when he was assaulted.
The suspect drove off in the police car with a police dog in the back.
The car was later located in Romford – nothing had been stolen and the dog was unharmed.
The officer suffered minor injuries and received hospital treatment before being discharged.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Turner, 35, last known to be living in Vincent Road, Dagenham, and is known to spend time in Romford, Barkingside, Broadstairs and Kent as well as towns on the south Essex border is wanted by the police as a suspect in the incident.
Mr Turner is 5ft 7in tall and of proportionate build with short, dark brown hair. He has a tattoo of the name Kirsten on his left arm.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
Ch Supt Sean O’Callaghan said: “This was a nasty assault on a police officer carrying out his duties to keep the people of Essex safe. We urgently need to find Tony Turner and speak with him. He is not someone that we would advise members of the public to approach.”
A 28-year-old man from Swanley, Kent, has also been arrested in connection with the investigation but was released on bail pending further enquiries.
If you have any information, contact Essex Police on 999 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.