Man jailed after following woman from Romford and attempting to rape her in her home
- Credit: Archant
An “audacious sex offender”, who followed a woman home from Romford before kicking her door down and trying to rape her, has been jailed for ten years.
Shane Lynch, 25, of Aviary Close, Newham, smashed his way inside the woman’s house and tried to rip off her clothes.
She was only saved when her mother and her landlady intervened.
Lynch approached the 26-year-old victim as she waited for a night bus to travel from Romford to Canning Town on Friday, June 14.
He began chatting to her during the journey and asked to walk her home but she declined before leaving him in Hayday Road, Newham.
You may also want to watch:
At home, she was preparing a snack when she heard her front door being kicked off its hinges.
He confronted the victim’s mother, demanding to know where she before discovering her cowering in fear in the kitchen.
- 1 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 5 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 6 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 7 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 8 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 9 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 10 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
He attacked her, pulling her to the floor and trying to tear off her dress and tights.
He told her he wanted to have sex with her and ignored her pleas for help.
The victim’s mother attempted to drag Lynch off her daughter but was assaulted.
Lynch made off when the victim’s landlady said she had called police.
He was arrested the following day and claimed the victim had stolen his phone and he was trying to retrieve it.
He admitted assaulting the victim’s mother but said it was self-defence.
He was found guilty at Snaresbrook Crown Court in November of attempted rape, having already admitted unrelated charge of wounding with intent.
He was given seven years for the attempted rape and three years for the other charge.
He was jailed on Friday, December 20 at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
Investigating officer Det Con Yvonne Rhoden said: “Lynch is a predatory, audacious sexual offender who, but for the brave actions of the victim’s mother, would have carried out a violent rape.
“He has posed a real danger to lone females using the public transport system and we would appeal for members of the public to come forward with any information on similar offences.”
Police can be contacted on 101.