Man gets 200-hour community order for Rainham air con theft
- Credit: Archant
A Romanian-born man who stole air conditioning units from a scrap metal yard in Rainham has been ordered to do 200 hours community service.
Petru Radu, from Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, pleaded guilty to theft at Romford Magistrates’ Court on June 23. He was sentenced to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, told to pay £280 in compensation and costs, and given a community order.
On June 18, Radu - himself a scrap metal dealer - visited an unnamed scrap metal merchant on Salamons Way in Rainham, where he asked to buy some metal from the yard, police said.
When he was refused, the 27-year-old was said to have become abusive towards staff.
Later that day, at around 9.30pm, Radu returned to the yard with two other men - whose names police haven’t disclosed - and was captured by CCTV forcing his way through the fence, stealing two air conditioning units, and some smaller scrap metal pieces.
You may also want to watch:
The trio escaped, but were caught when they were spotted to the area two days later and reported to police.
Pc Ryan Gilbert from Havering Police said: “Being part of the Neighbourhood Police Team in Rainham, it is a nice feeling to be able to respond and deal with incidents that effect my ward.
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 8 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 9 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 10 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
“My team will work hard to bring people like Radu to justice”.
Two other men - 28 and 19 - received police cautions for theft.