Man gets 200-hour community order for Rainham air con theft
- Credit: Archant
A Romanian-born man who stole air conditioning units from a scrap metal yard in Rainham has been ordered to do 200 hours community service.
Petru Radu, from Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, pleaded guilty to theft at Romford Magistrates’ Court on June 23. He was sentenced to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, told to pay £280 in compensation and costs, and given a community order.
On June 18, Radu - himself a scrap metal dealer - visited an unnamed scrap metal merchant on Salamons Way in Rainham, where he asked to buy some metal from the yard, police said.
When he was refused, the 27-year-old was said to have become abusive towards staff.
Later that day, at around 9.30pm, Radu returned to the yard with two other men - whose names police haven’t disclosed - and was captured by CCTV forcing his way through the fence, stealing two air conditioning units, and some smaller scrap metal pieces.
You may also want to watch:
The trio escaped, but were caught when they were spotted to the area two days later and reported to police.
Pc Ryan Gilbert from Havering Police said: “Being part of the Neighbourhood Police Team in Rainham, it is a nice feeling to be able to respond and deal with incidents that effect my ward.
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 4 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 5 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 6 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 7 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 8 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
- 9 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 10 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
“My team will work hard to bring people like Radu to justice”.
Two other men - 28 and 19 - received police cautions for theft.