Man gets 200-hour community order for Rainham air con theft
- Credit: Archant
A Romanian-born man who stole air conditioning units from a scrap metal yard in Rainham has been ordered to do 200 hours community service.
Petru Radu, from Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, pleaded guilty to theft at Romford Magistrates’ Court on June 23. He was sentenced to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, told to pay £280 in compensation and costs, and given a community order.
On June 18, Radu - himself a scrap metal dealer - visited an unnamed scrap metal merchant on Salamons Way in Rainham, where he asked to buy some metal from the yard, police said.
When he was refused, the 27-year-old was said to have become abusive towards staff.
Later that day, at around 9.30pm, Radu returned to the yard with two other men - whose names police haven’t disclosed - and was captured by CCTV forcing his way through the fence, stealing two air conditioning units, and some smaller scrap metal pieces.
The trio escaped, but were caught when they were spotted to the area two days later and reported to police.
Pc Ryan Gilbert from Havering Police said: “Being part of the Neighbourhood Police Team in Rainham, it is a nice feeling to be able to respond and deal with incidents that effect my ward.
- 1 Farming family to be evicted from Upminster land they worked for a century
- 2 Wheelchair user's 'disgust' at borough's pavements after park visit ends with hour wait for ambulance
- 3 'Everybody wanted to be in his company': Tributes paid to popular Romford postman
- 4 Murder investigation continues after man found dead after disturbance in Rainham
- 5 ‘If it’s happening, it’s a concern’: Hornchurch's surprise at claims Havering is at risk of far-right activity
- 6 'I thought I was dying': Havering mayor and deputy catch Covid
- 7 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 8 Romford shopping centre to host more than 50 events in run up to Christmas
- 9 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Rainham cannabis factory worth over £1m busted in drugs raid
“My team will work hard to bring people like Radu to justice”.
Two other men - 28 and 19 - received police cautions for theft.