Man gets 200-hour community order for Rainham air con theft
- Credit: Archant
A Romanian-born man who stole air conditioning units from a scrap metal yard in Rainham has been ordered to do 200 hours community service.
Petru Radu, from Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, pleaded guilty to theft at Romford Magistrates’ Court on June 23. He was sentenced to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, told to pay £280 in compensation and costs, and given a community order.
On June 18, Radu - himself a scrap metal dealer - visited an unnamed scrap metal merchant on Salamons Way in Rainham, where he asked to buy some metal from the yard, police said.
When he was refused, the 27-year-old was said to have become abusive towards staff.
Later that day, at around 9.30pm, Radu returned to the yard with two other men - whose names police haven’t disclosed - and was captured by CCTV forcing his way through the fence, stealing two air conditioning units, and some smaller scrap metal pieces.
You may also want to watch:
The trio escaped, but were caught when they were spotted to the area two days later and reported to police.
Pc Ryan Gilbert from Havering Police said: “Being part of the Neighbourhood Police Team in Rainham, it is a nice feeling to be able to respond and deal with incidents that effect my ward.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 5 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 6 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 8 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 9 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 10 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
“My team will work hard to bring people like Radu to justice”.
Two other men - 28 and 19 - received police cautions for theft.