Man arrested in Romford in connection with Irish gang murder
- Credit: @jennirowe
A 31-year-old man was dramatically arrested by undercover officers in the early hours of Saturday, June 11.
Witnesses described how the corner of Victoria Road, Romford, was blocked off as the man was detained in connection with a murder in Dublin last year.
Three crime agencies worked together to apprehend the suspect.
On Twitter @Jennirowe said: “Undercover police stopped a man in a car, loads of undercover cars, corner was blocked off, was outside my brother’s flat on Victoria Road.”
In a statement Ireland’s national police force, An Garda Síochána said: “The National Crime Agency (NCA) in conjunction [with] An Garda Síochána and the London Metropolitan Police have arrested a 31-year-old man in the Romford area of Essex in the UK on foot of a European Arrest warrant.
You may also want to watch:
“The arrest was made in relation to the investigation into the murder of Gareth Hutch in Dublin on the May 24, 2016.”
According to Irish reports, the murder was part of a major gangland feud in Dublin between the Hutch and Kinahan gangs, with around 10 people killed in the past year.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 3 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 4 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 5 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 6 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 7 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 8 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
The Irish Independent reported that Gareth Hutch, 35 – nephew of Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch – was shot dead outside his home in Avondale House, North Cumberland Street, Dublin.
The paper also reported that 39-year-old Regina Keogh has been charged in connection with the murder. She appeared at Dublin District Court on Saturday.
Another man, Thomas Fox, also faces charges in connection with the murder.
The suspect, who has not been named, is expected to be extradited to Ireland.