‘Low level of humanity’: Neill Buchel’s mum speaks after son’s corpse recovered from Rush Green lake
- Credit: Archant
The mum of a father-of-two, whose severed leg was found in a Rush Green lake, has spoken for the first time since police today confirmed they had found the rest of his body.
Trish Kell said she was in a “state of shock” after being told her son Neill Buchel’s body had been found in Chase Nature Reserve, which straddles the Havering and Barking and Dagenham border, by murder detectives.
The 39-year-old South African had been missing since March 13.
He was last seen less than two miles from where a human leg was found floating in a lake on April 2 — since identified as Neill’s.
“At least we now know that he has been found, if nothing else,” said Trish, who lives in South Africa.
You may also want to watch:
“Four weeks of sitting here and waiting — the not knowing has been awful.”
She said when police called and asked if somebody was with her she “knew immediately” they had found Neill, adding: “Then you think ‘did they die instantly’, all these thoughts keep on going around in your head and it’s terrible.”
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 7 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 8 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
Her son’s separated wife Sharon was said to be “devastated” by the news, which she has told to their two young daughters, Caitlin, 10, and Megan, 16.
Trish, who was due to speak to her granddaughters, said: “A child can’t comprehend this sort of thing and they shouldn’t be expected to.”
She added: “Why and how can anyone do this to another human being. What low level of humanity does that? Nobody deserves this.”
Police are carrying out a post-mortem to establish the time and cause of Neill’s death.
Three men been arrested and bailed in connection with the incident.