London riots: Romford boy, 11, youngest looter in court
An 11-year-old boy from Romford was the youngest among scores of rioters and looters to appear before magistrates today (Wednesday).
The youngster, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Highbury Corner Youth Court where he admitted being part of a gang of youths who looted the town’s Debenhams store on Monday night.
His appearance came as court staff ploughed through the massive influx of cases from recent riots in London.
Defendants ranged in age, from different parts of London - but the Romford lad was the youngest.
Wearing a blue Adidas tracksuit, the youngster spoke only to confirm his name, age and date of birth.
He pleaded guilty to burglary, after stealing a waste bin worth �50 from Debenhams.
A charge of violent disorder was dropped.
- 1 TfL confirms plan to 'strengthen' Gallows Corner flyover 'for many generations to come'
- 2 Man charged with murder of 'loving father' from Romford
- 3 Shop worker racially abused in Brentwood Tesco
- 4 Property spotlight: The origins of Havering’s planned garden city
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'genuine soul' fatally stabbed on birthday weekend
- 6 Man dies after Romford car park incident
- 7 'No one ever consulted me': Rejected microbrewery owner raises questions after application knocked back
- 8 Stakeholders' silence over Romford's The Liberty sale reports
- 9 Estate agency opens first Havering branch in Hornchurch
- 10 Cranham woman ‘near to tears’ after 7.5-hour wait with painful tooth infection
During the brief hearing the court heard the boy has already been given a referral order after being convicted of a separate offence just last week. Prosecutor Steven Davis told the court: “This was 10.30pm on Monday evening with a background of serious violence in Romford.
“Police saw a group of 20-30 youths who were approaching large stores, breaking windows and looting.
“They saw Debenhams had had its windows broken and they saw (the boy) approach the window that had been smashed, lean in, take a waste bin and run off with it.”
He said when police stopped the boy, he said: “I was just taking it to pass on to somebody else.”
The damage to the windows was �6,000 but it is not alleged the boy broke them.
Defending the 11-year-old, Vicky Thompson said he was given a referral order after being convicted last Wednesday, but it had not even begun yet.
She asked for a pre-sentence report to be carried out before the boy is sentenced.
The boy’s case was adjourned until August 31 at Havering Youth Court.
Miss Thompson asked that his mother requested that “in the light of everything that is going on” a condition of his bail should be that he is not allowed to leave his home unaccompanied.
“She wants to keep him safe and not allow him to get caught up in this,” she said.
District Judge James Henderson granted bail, with what he said are “very restricted conditions”, which includes 12-hour curfew.
The boy’s mother shouted and swore at some members of the gathered media as she left the court, and could later be seen shouting at the boy.