London riots: 12-year-old convicted of smashing Romford florist’s window
A 12-year-old boy who caused more than �6,000-worth of damage to a Romford florist is one of the youngest trouble-makers to be convicted of taking part in last summer’s disorder.
The schoolboy was given a six-month youth detention order at Stratford Magistrates’ Court, after admitting that he smashed a window of the Golden Ivy Florist in South Street, Scotland Yard said.
CCTV footage from August 8 showed the boy repeatedly kicking the glass in an attempt to gain entry and then appearing to try to encourage others to join in.
The youngster, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested on February 29 before he admitted violent disorder.
Det Insp Keith Paterson said: “This conviction is an example of the painstaking work which continues to bring to justice those responsible for the disorder last August.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased that in sentencing this individual the court has recognised his appalling behaviour, which added to the fear and misery experienced by the local businesses community and residents.
“My team continue to work tirelessly to identify those outstanding suspects involved in the disorder.”
- 1 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 2 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 4 Heritage: Mystery of the moated mound on Romford Hill
- 5 Plans submitted for Rainham Lidl
- 6 Romford mum's success setting up children's clothing business amid pandemic
- 7 Four weeks' free parking for Havering shoppers as high streets reopen
- 8 Police unit for 'high-harm' crimes tackles hike in domestic incidents
- 9 Covid-19: What's opening and what can you do on April 12?
- 10 New Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre set to open
Officers declined to name the area where the rioter was from.
Another boy who was 11 at the time of the riots was given an 18-month youth rehabilitation order last year for stealing a bin, worth �50, from Debenhams in Market Place, Romford on August 8.