‘Lick-and-mix’ shock in Rainham Tesco
�A Rainham supermarket is investigating after customers were seen licking sweets and then putting them back into a pick-and-mix display.
Shocked customers complained to the management of the Bridge Road, Tesco, after witnessing the incident on Thursday of last week.
Shopper Shanna O’Neill said: “There were two men at the pick-and-mix counter taking sweets out, sucking them, putting some in their bags and putting some back in the pick-and-mix.
“If they liked them, they put them in the bag, if they didn’t they put them back.”
One stunned shopper tried to remonstrate with the men, but they took no notice.
You may also want to watch:
“An old lady approached them and said: ‘That’s disgusting’, but they just stared at her and carried on. I didn’t want to approach them because they were big guys and I’m pregnant,” Shanna added.
- 1 Watch police break up 20-person Hornchurch baby shower
- 2 Can you help find Ricky Wellington, last seen on January 22 in Hornchurch?
- 3 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 4 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 5 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 6 Leaked council email casts doubt over Brookside theatre's future
- 7 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 8 Havering Council looking for residents to become Covid marshals
- 9 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
A Tesco spokesman said: “As soon as we became aware of this incident, all the pick and mix stock was removed from the shop floor and destroyed. Like our customers, we take food hygiene extremely seriously and are reviewing CCTV to try to identify the individuals responsible.”