‘Lick-and-mix’ shock in Rainham Tesco
�A Rainham supermarket is investigating after customers were seen licking sweets and then putting them back into a pick-and-mix display.
Shocked customers complained to the management of the Bridge Road, Tesco, after witnessing the incident on Thursday of last week.
Shopper Shanna O’Neill said: “There were two men at the pick-and-mix counter taking sweets out, sucking them, putting some in their bags and putting some back in the pick-and-mix.
“If they liked them, they put them in the bag, if they didn’t they put them back.”
One stunned shopper tried to remonstrate with the men, but they took no notice.
You may also want to watch:
“An old lady approached them and said: ‘That’s disgusting’, but they just stared at her and carried on. I didn’t want to approach them because they were big guys and I’m pregnant,” Shanna added.
- 1 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 2 Action promised over 'lorry parking forcing children to walk in busy road'
- 3 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 4 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 5 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 6 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 7 'Unexplained' Collier Row death 'not believed to be suspicious'
- 8 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 9 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
- 10 Hornchurch gym sees 'growing trend' of members post-lockdown
A Tesco spokesman said: “As soon as we became aware of this incident, all the pick and mix stock was removed from the shop floor and destroyed. Like our customers, we take food hygiene extremely seriously and are reviewing CCTV to try to identify the individuals responsible.”