Leader of armed robbers who posed as firefighters is jailed
The mastermind behind a group of armed robbers who posed as firefighters to hold-up shops at gunpoint, including three in Havering, has been jailed for 18 years.
Darren Lloyd, 36, of Pettits Road, Dagenham, faced trial after pleading not guilty, but was convicted at the Old Bailey of a number of conspiracy to rob offences.
He was sentenced last Friday (January 6).
He was the leader of a gang who carried out 14 raids, including one in McDonald’s in Bryant Road, Romford; one in Barclays Bank, in Upminster Road, South Rainham; and another on a shop in Elm Parade, Hornchurch.
They used weapons - including handguns, knives and crowbars - during the well-planned raids, which netted the group around �200,000 in their nine-month crime spree.
You may also want to watch:
Six other men, including two from Havering, who had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to rob and firearms offences will be sentenced on Friday January 27.
They are: Joshua McEvilly, 29, of Hare Hall Lane, Romford; Frank Nesbitt, 20, of Mildmay Road, Romford; Gary Griffiths, an ex-Met police officer, 42, of Babbington Road, Dagenham; Jason Stacey, 38, of Chitty’s Lane, Dagenham; Ben Garforth, 20, of Chadwell Heath Lane, Dagenham; and Peter Henderson, 29, of Lymington Road, Dagenham
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 4 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 5 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 6 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 10 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
An eighth man, Russell Williams, a firefighter, 39, of Bury Green Road, Cheshunt, had previously pleaded guilty to assisting an offender and will also be sentenced on Friday January 27.