Leader of armed robbers who posed as firefighters is jailed
The mastermind behind a group of armed robbers who posed as firefighters to hold-up shops at gunpoint, including three in Havering, has been jailed for 18 years.
Darren Lloyd, 36, of Pettits Road, Dagenham, faced trial after pleading not guilty, but was convicted at the Old Bailey of a number of conspiracy to rob offences.
He was sentenced last Friday (January 6).
He was the leader of a gang who carried out 14 raids, including one in McDonald’s in Bryant Road, Romford; one in Barclays Bank, in Upminster Road, South Rainham; and another on a shop in Elm Parade, Hornchurch.
They used weapons - including handguns, knives and crowbars - during the well-planned raids, which netted the group around �200,000 in their nine-month crime spree.
You may also want to watch:
Six other men, including two from Havering, who had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to rob and firearms offences will be sentenced on Friday January 27.
They are: Joshua McEvilly, 29, of Hare Hall Lane, Romford; Frank Nesbitt, 20, of Mildmay Road, Romford; Gary Griffiths, an ex-Met police officer, 42, of Babbington Road, Dagenham; Jason Stacey, 38, of Chitty’s Lane, Dagenham; Ben Garforth, 20, of Chadwell Heath Lane, Dagenham; and Peter Henderson, 29, of Lymington Road, Dagenham
- 1 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 5 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 6 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 7 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 8 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 9 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 10 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
An eighth man, Russell Williams, a firefighter, 39, of Bury Green Road, Cheshunt, had previously pleaded guilty to assisting an offender and will also be sentenced on Friday January 27.