Jail for pair who planned to rob car in Rainham before driving wrong way down A13
Two violent armed robbers who targeted a house in Rainham before fleeing the wrong way down the A13 have been jailed.
John Robinson, 35, and Charlie Garratty, 25, were sent to prison for 12 years each after pleading guilty to a string of robberies and burglaries across London and Essex in 2011 and 2012.
In the early hours of January 13 last year, Robinson, of Dock Street, Tower Hamlets, and Garratty, of Roderick House, Raymouth Road, Southwark, planned to rob a car in Westlyn Close, Rainham, Southwark Crown Court heard.
But the homeowners disturbed the pair, who ran off, the Met Police said.
Robinson and Garratty fled to a waiting stolen vehicle and made off the wrong way down the A13.
You may also want to watch:
Police officers and a Met helicopter pursued them until they abandoned the car and ran off. They were later caught and detained.
The pair had already stolen goods worth nearly £35,000 from a jeweller’s, a bookmaker’s, a pawnbroker’s and a supermarket, threatening staff members verbally and physically.
- 1 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 4 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 5 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 6 Captain Sam Roberts bids farewell and thanks Romford Junior Raiders
- 7 Men fined following New Year's Eve rave in Brentwood
- 8 'My girls aren't sleeping': Harold Hill family searching for Pog the dog
- 9 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
At Southwark Crown Court last week, Robinson and Garratty admitted robbery, firearms and burglary offences,
A third defendant, 23-year-old Jack Lloyd of Wrayburn House, Llewellyn Street, Southwark, pleaded guilty to two robberies and firearms offences, and will be sentenced later this month.