Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
An illegal car race meeting in Rainham saw police hand out 49 people for breaching Covid restrictions last night.
Officers shut down the meet after they were called to Ferry Lane at 11.46pm to reports that around 50 vehicles had gathered.
The group were spotted speeding around a roundabout and mixing with other drivers with no social distancing.
East Area BCU Commander Detective Chief Superintendent Stephen Clayman said: "It is unacceptable that people are still breaking the rules at a time when there is so much pressure on the NHS.
"It is more important than ever before that people follow the regulations.
"The restrictions are clear enough and there is no excuse for this sort of selfish behaviour that puts lives at risk and causes a nuisance for nearby residents who are doing the right thing by staying at home.
"We understand that this is a very difficult time for everyone but our top priority as police officers is keeping people safe.
- 1 Romford pair to 'bring a little bit of raving' to 'more mature' Hornchurch community
- 2 Watch: Brawl erupts on Heath Park street outside pub
- 3 Man, 52, found with head injuries in Hornchurch
- 4 Teen taken to hospital as 'priority' after being stabbed in Rainham
- 5 Unvaccinated patients may need to take Covid tests for hospital appointments as cases rise
- 6 'Absolutely disgusting': 'Design defect' blamed for Harold Wood fountain repeatedly breaking
- 7 Green light for four-storey residential-commercial buildings to replace old NatWest and Beresfords in Upminster
- 8 Romford theatre company celebrates 60 years with Shakespeare park performance
- 9 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 10 Application to open Papa John's takeaway in Hornchurch
"If that means moving quicker to enforcement action for more wilful breaches, then we will do."