Identity of Romford teen killer to be revealed today
The identity of a Romford teenager who brutally strangled and stabbed an 88-year-old to death, is to be revealed today after legal restrictions were lifted.
The Recorder was banned from naming the youth after the courts imposed a Section 39 Order which prevents identification an offender under 18. Today is his 18th birthday.
The thug murdered Margery Gilbey and ransacked her room in the sheltered accommodation where she lived in Tower Hamlets.
She had been living in the first floor flat for just 10 weeks.
Mrs Gilbey was found dead by a care assistant at the Sonali Gardens care home on May 24.
You may also want to watch:
The teenager faces a life sentence after pleading guilty on Monday to murder at the Old Bailey.
Speaking at the time of Mrs Gilbey’s death, Chris Munday, director of Sancturary Supported Living, which runs the care home, said: “Margery was a very kind and gentle lady and will be greatly missed by our staff and all who knew her.”
- 1 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 4 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 7 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 8 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 9 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 10 Gidea Park school to celebrate 100th birthday
The teenager will be sentenced on November 8 once his defence has provided medial reports. On Monday, Judge John Bevan said: “The sentence will inevitably be one of detention for life because you have pleaded guilty to murder.
“I will give you such credit as I can for your plea of guilty. Meanwhile reports will be prepared about you.’