Sentencing adjourned for Harold Wood policeman who had sex with schoolgirl
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The sentencing of policeman who admitted having sex with a 14-year-old schoolgirl has moved to Thursday.
Pc John Wigglesworth, 46, of The Ridgeway, Harold Wood, is facing the end of his career after pleading guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child and was due for sentencing at Snaresbrook Crown Court today.
Judge David Radford adjourned the proceedings after the prosecution counsel was unable to attend court due to illness.
At Wigglesworth’s trial last month, he was cleared of three counts of rape, and two further counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child.
Wigglesworth, a police officer for 18 years, admitted having consensual sex with the schoolgirl on one occasion at his home in Lynnett Road, Dagenham, in 2007.
You may also want to watch:
The policeman, who worked in Tower Hamlets, was arrested at his home in August last year.
The Metropolitan Police are currently conducting their own misconduct investigation.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 7 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 8 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 9 Romford's Jesy Nelson included in Little Mix display at Madame Tussauds
- 10 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological