Sentencing adjourned for Harold Wood policeman who had sex with schoolgirl
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The sentencing of policeman who admitted having sex with a 14-year-old schoolgirl has moved to Thursday.
Pc John Wigglesworth, 46, of The Ridgeway, Harold Wood, is facing the end of his career after pleading guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child and was due for sentencing at Snaresbrook Crown Court today.
Judge David Radford adjourned the proceedings after the prosecution counsel was unable to attend court due to illness.
At Wigglesworth’s trial last month, he was cleared of three counts of rape, and two further counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child.
Wigglesworth, a police officer for 18 years, admitted having consensual sex with the schoolgirl on one occasion at his home in Lynnett Road, Dagenham, in 2007.
You may also want to watch:
The policeman, who worked in Tower Hamlets, was arrested at his home in August last year.
The Metropolitan Police are currently conducting their own misconduct investigation.
- 1 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 2 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 3 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 4 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 5 'My life lit up': Councillor's joy at reuniting with daughter after more than 30 years
- 6 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 7 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 8 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 9 Council campaign calls on residents to take up Covid vaccine
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals reach 10,000 vaccinated milestone