Hornchurch man arrested in connection with international people smuggling
- Credit: PA WIRE
A 33-year-old has been arrested as part of a major UK-Belgian investigation into people smuggling.
Yesterday, Wednesday, June 20, Kujdesi Dauti, from Hornchurch, was detained on a European arrest warrant at the East 10 Enterprise Park in Lea Valley, London, by the National Crime Agency (NCA).
In the early hours of this morning, Thursday, June 21, Sabah Zeka, 34, from Bromley, was also arrested as he arrived into Gatwick Airport on a flight from Tirana.
Both men will appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court later today, where they will face extradition to Belgium on people smuggling charges.
The arrests were part of a joint NCA-Belgian Federal Police investigation into a crime group thought to be using corrupt truck drivers to smuggle men, women and children into the UK, picking up migrants in Belgium and transporting them via the Channel ports.
You may also want to watch:
Ten other people had also been previously arrested in connection with the same investigation in Belgium France and Spain.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford add to management team as Boro win 11-goal Waltham Abbey friendly
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 8 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice