Hornchurch flasher who drunkenly exposed himself to beauty parlour handed £100 fine and five years on the sex offenders register

Major Sangha, of Essex Gardens, Hornchurch exposed himself on Hornchurch High Street on July 19. Pho

Major Sangha, of Essex Gardens, Hornchurch exposed himself on Hornchurch High Street on July 19. Photo: Google Maps - Credit: Archant

A loner caught flashing in the middle of a busy Hornchurch high street after downing pints of lager has been put on the sex offenders register.

Major Sangha, of Essex Gardens, Hornchurch, dropped his trousers and waved his genitals towards the front window of Final Checks beauty salon in Hornchurch High Street at about 5.30pm on July 19.

When police arrived the 54-year-old freelance plasterer said he couldn’t remember doing it, but later pleaded guilty to indecent exposure.

Barkingside Magistrates’ Court heard today (August 31) that Sangha had drunk a considerable amount of alcohol before flashing and the entire episode had been caught on CCTV.

Prosecuting, Phillippa McCarthy said the High Street had been busy, but it hadn’t been possible to prove that children had seen Sangha exposing himself.

Defending, Adrian Lee said Sangha admitted coming to the UK from the Indian Punjab illegally in 1993, leaving behind a wife and two children who he hasn’t seen for 25 years because of his immigration status.

“Since then he has lived a rather sad and solitary existence,” Mr Lee said.

Most Read

He explained that Sangha’s only recreational activity was going to a Sikh temple in Barking, that he couldn’t read or write and had no television. His only link to the outside world was listening to Indian radio broadcasts.

“It has to be said, it’s a pretty joyless world for my client,” Mr Lee said before noting Sangha had had no romantic relationships since arriving in Britain where he lived “in isolation”.

The court heard friendless Sangha was not a regular drinker but on the evening he exposed himself he had joined colleagues after work drinking three cans of Stella Artois lager before agreeing to go to the pub where he knocked back another two pints.

Mr Lee explained Sangha didn’t eat a lot and wasn’t used to drinking alcohol.

He added: “It went straight to his head and he lost control of his senses. He is deeply remorseful and deeply ashamed of his behaviour.

“This was a moment of madness and he realises his stupidity and the offence he caused on that day. He has learnt his lesson.”

Sangha was placed on the sex offenders register for five years and given a 12 month community order. He was ordered to pay a £100 fine, £85 costs and £85 victim surcharge.