Hornchurch, Emerson Park and Ardleigh Green feature in UK burglary hotspot list
- Credit: PA WIRE
Hornchurch, Emerson Park and Ardleigh Green rank at number 19 in a list of the UK’s burglary hotspots.
The data released by MoneySuperMarket uses claim details from 2015.
London was home to 16 of the nation’s top 20 burglary hotspots with SE21 (South Tulse Hill and Dulwich) topping the list.
The insurance comparison site’s burglary claims tracker showed that for every 1,000 claims in 2015 61.2 were from that postcode.
RM11 (Hornchurch, Ardleigh Green and Emerson Park) was the only Havering postcode to make the top 20 with 42.3 of every 1,000 claims reported coming from the area.
You may also want to watch:
Neighbouring Redbridge featured heavily in the top 20, with IG5 (Clayhall). IG4 (Redbridge), IG2 (Gants Hill, Newbury Park and Aldborough Hatch), IG6 (Barkingside and Hainault south) and IG3 (Seven kings and Goodmayes) all listed.
Kevin Pratt, consumer affairs expert at MoneySuperMarket, said: “Our findings suggest thieves favour busy urban areas where strangers are unlikely to be spotted and it’s easy to make a quick getaway.
- 1 Male injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 3 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 6 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 9 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson included in Little Mix display at Madame Tussauds
“Leafy suburbs are also heavily targeted, with burglars following the money to affluent areas.”
Other areas of the borough ranked substantially lower in the list. RM12 (Hornchurch and Elm Park) came in at number 69 followed by RM2 (Gidea Park and Heath Park) at number 70.
RM3 (Harold Wood, Harold Hill and Noak Hill) ranked 98th in the UK closely followed by RM13 (Rainham, South Hornchurch and Wennignton).
RM1 Romford came 489th, the only safer place in the borough being RM4 (Havering-atte-Bower, Abridge, Stapleford Abbotts, Noak Hill, Navestock, Stapleford Tawney).
Mr Pratt added: “The best way to avoid the emotional turmoil and financial distress associated with a burglary is to be vigilant, secure your home and put in place the safety net of appropriate contents insurance.”