Hornchurch BMW driver handed two-year driving ban for repeated speeding after lying about owning car
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A Hornchurch man has been given 30 points on his licence and banned from driving for two years following a string of speeding related offences in the space of four months.
A grey BMW 3 series, registered to Akinwade Thomas, 26, of Latimer Drive, was caught speeding six times between September 29 and December 1, 2017 on the A127 in Southend, Broomfield Road and Waterhouse Lane in Chelmsford.
On each occasion Thomas was sent a letter asking him to identify who was driving and on each occasion he failed to respond.
He had tried to claim he had sold the vehicle in September or October and that he did not actually live at the address the BMW was registered to.
However, he was stopped in the same car by officers in November 2017 and then gave his home address as the one the car was registered to.
You may also want to watch:
Appearing at Southend Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, July 17 he was given 30 points on his licence and banned from driving for two years.
He was also fined £500 and ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge and £100 costs.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 3 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 4 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 5 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 6 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 7 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 8 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
Pc Daniel Cordwell, of Essex Police’s Casualty Reduction Unit, said: “Akinwade Tomas committed offences in a vehicle he told the court he had previously sold. His actions were reckless and put other road users at risk.
“Thomas weaved a web of lies that he was unable to maintain and I am grateful to the court for disqualifying him from driving for 2 years and endorsing his licence with other 30 points.
“Hopefully this time will give Thomas time to reflect upon his poor decisions and behaviour to this point.”