Hornchurch among most burgled postcodes in Britain
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The country’s burglary hotspots have been revealed – with a Havering postcode making it into the top 10.
Price comparison website MoneySuperMarket published its annual burglary claims tracker on Friday, showing which postcodes across the UK had seen the most insurance claims for burglary.
The list shows the rate of insurance quotes which have a burglary claim over past two years.
Hornchurch, Emerson Park and Ardleigh Green (RM11) came sixth with a rate of 47.1 of every 1,000 claims in the survey which analysed 2.7 million home insurance quotes.
Neighbouring Dagenham came top, with a rate of 55 and nearby Redbridge had three postcodes in the 10 – more than anywhere else.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this month police branded Redbridge a “perfect storm” for burglaries due to its wealthy houses and easy access from the A12, M11 and A406.
Announcing the claim statistics on Friday, Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket, said: “Burglars often target urban areas where there’s more hustle and bustle and so less risk of being caught, but not surprisingly they also follow the money.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 5 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 6 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 7 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 8 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 9 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 10 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
“Homeowners should be vigilant about home safety wherever they live, by ensuring that security measures have been put in place, and appropriate insurance taken out.”
Mark Castle, chief executive of the charity Victim Support said: “As a charity that supports thousands of burglary victims each year, we know how devastating an impact this crime can have and we are here to help.
“Victims tell us that they suffer far more than material loss when their home is burgled – the psychological impact of this crime can be drastic, long lasting and different for everyone.”
For advice visit victimsupport.org.uk or call 0808 16 89 111.