Havering men part of mass arrest for huge alcohol tax scam
TWENTY men, including three from Havering, have been arrested in an estimated �50m tax fraud on alcohol imports.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) criminal investigators officers launched co-ordinated raids on 12 commercial and 17 domestic premises across the South East and the Midlands on Tuesday morning, December 7.
Searches were also undertaken in Germany.
It is suspected that alcohol, bought duty free and said to be destined for markets in the European Union, was smuggled back into the UK market without the appropriate payment of excise duty and VAT.
Bob Gaiger, HMRC spokesman, said: “HMRC criminal investigators have uncovered a suspected multi-million pound excise duty and VAT fraud.
You may also want to watch:
“Over 200 HMRC officers, supported by the police, took part in the operation. The operation spanned a number of counties and led to the arrest of twenty people. Our investigations are continuing.”
The 20 men arrested and interviewed by HMRC officers have been released on bail until June next year, pending further enquiries.
- 1 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 2 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 3 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 4 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 5 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 6 'My life lit up': Councillor's joy at reuniting with daughter after more than 30 years
- 7 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 8 Queen's and King George hospitals reach 10,000 vaccinated milestone
- 9 Council campaign calls on residents to take up Covid vaccine
- 10 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
The arrests took place in:
• Loughton, Essex – four arrests
• Bromley, Kent – one arrest
• Ilford, east London – one arrest
• Romford – two arrests
• Farnham, Surrey – one arrest
• Hove, Sussex – one arrest
• Rochford, Essex – one arrest
• Reading, Berkshire – one arrest
• Brighton, Sussex – one arrest
• Enfield, Hertfordshire – one arrest
• Barking, east London – one arrest
• Hornchurch – one arrest
• Birmingham – one arrest
• London, E6 – one arrest
• London, E17 – one arrest
• Hainault, east London – one arrest