Havering men part of mass arrest for huge alcohol tax scam
TWENTY men, including three from Havering, have been arrested in an estimated �50m tax fraud on alcohol imports.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) criminal investigators officers launched co-ordinated raids on 12 commercial and 17 domestic premises across the South East and the Midlands on Tuesday morning, December 7.
Searches were also undertaken in Germany.
It is suspected that alcohol, bought duty free and said to be destined for markets in the European Union, was smuggled back into the UK market without the appropriate payment of excise duty and VAT.
Bob Gaiger, HMRC spokesman, said: “HMRC criminal investigators have uncovered a suspected multi-million pound excise duty and VAT fraud.
“Over 200 HMRC officers, supported by the police, took part in the operation. The operation spanned a number of counties and led to the arrest of twenty people. Our investigations are continuing.”
The 20 men arrested and interviewed by HMRC officers have been released on bail until June next year, pending further enquiries.
- 1 TfL confirms plan to 'strengthen' Gallows Corner flyover 'for many generations to come'
- 2 Man charged with murder of 'loving father' from Romford
- 3 Shop worker racially abused in Brentwood Tesco
- 4 Property spotlight: The origins of Havering’s planned garden city
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'genuine soul' fatally stabbed on birthday weekend
- 6 Man dies after Romford car park incident
- 7 Stakeholders' silence over Romford's The Liberty sale reports
- 8 'No one ever consulted me': Rejected microbrewery owner raises questions after application knocked back
- 9 Estate agency opens first Havering branch in Hornchurch
- 10 Cranham woman ‘near to tears’ after 7.5-hour wait with painful tooth infection
The arrests took place in:
• Loughton, Essex – four arrests
• Bromley, Kent – one arrest
• Ilford, east London – one arrest
• Romford – two arrests
• Farnham, Surrey – one arrest
• Hove, Sussex – one arrest
• Rochford, Essex – one arrest
• Reading, Berkshire – one arrest
• Brighton, Sussex – one arrest
• Enfield, Hertfordshire – one arrest
• Barking, east London – one arrest
• Hornchurch – one arrest
• Birmingham – one arrest
• London, E6 – one arrest
• London, E17 – one arrest
• Hainault, east London – one arrest