Havering men part of mass arrest for huge alcohol tax scam
TWENTY men, including three from Havering, have been arrested in an estimated �50m tax fraud on alcohol imports.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) criminal investigators officers launched co-ordinated raids on 12 commercial and 17 domestic premises across the South East and the Midlands on Tuesday morning, December 7.
Searches were also undertaken in Germany.
It is suspected that alcohol, bought duty free and said to be destined for markets in the European Union, was smuggled back into the UK market without the appropriate payment of excise duty and VAT.
Bob Gaiger, HMRC spokesman, said: “HMRC criminal investigators have uncovered a suspected multi-million pound excise duty and VAT fraud.
You may also want to watch:
“Over 200 HMRC officers, supported by the police, took part in the operation. The operation spanned a number of counties and led to the arrest of twenty people. Our investigations are continuing.”
The 20 men arrested and interviewed by HMRC officers have been released on bail until June next year, pending further enquiries.
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
- 6 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Bekash restaurant ranked best curry house in Havering on Tripadviser
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
The arrests took place in:
• Loughton, Essex – four arrests
• Bromley, Kent – one arrest
• Ilford, east London – one arrest
• Romford – two arrests
• Farnham, Surrey – one arrest
• Hove, Sussex – one arrest
• Rochford, Essex – one arrest
• Reading, Berkshire – one arrest
• Brighton, Sussex – one arrest
• Enfield, Hertfordshire – one arrest
• Barking, east London – one arrest
• Hornchurch – one arrest
• Birmingham – one arrest
• London, E6 – one arrest
• London, E17 – one arrest
• Hainault, east London – one arrest