Havering man one of eight arrested over alleged rape of girl under 16
- Credit: Archant
A Havering man is one of eight arrested this morning on suspicion of the rape of a girl under 16.
Police swooped at 5am in a pre-planned operation, targeting nine addresses in Havering, Newham, and Redbridg.
Officers also targeted a house in Hertfordshire.
The men, who are in custody at an east London police station, are five 23-year-old men, two 24-year-old men and a 21-year-old man.
Detectives from the Met Police’s Sapphire Command began investigating following an allegation relating to alleged offences between May and November 2012.
DCI Adam Lowe, from Sapphire Command, said: “These arrests are part of an investigation into rape and serious sexual assault carried out by a group of men in Newham and the wider east London area.
“Our enquiries continue.”
- 1 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 2 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 3 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 4 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 Police: Blaze in flats with flammable cladding was arson attack
- 7 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 8 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 9 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 10 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
Anyone with information call police on 020 8217 6531 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Cash was also seized from one address, and drugs seized from another property, both in Newham.
A 26-year-old man and two women, aged 47 and 50, were arrested on suspicion of fraud.
The 47-year-old woman and and the 26-year-old man were arrested in Newham while the 50-year-old woman was arrested in Redbridge.