Havering man one of eight arrested over alleged rape of girl under 16
- Credit: Archant
A Havering man is one of eight arrested this morning on suspicion of the rape of a girl under 16.
Police swooped at 5am in a pre-planned operation, targeting nine addresses in Havering, Newham, and Redbridg.
Officers also targeted a house in Hertfordshire.
The men, who are in custody at an east London police station, are five 23-year-old men, two 24-year-old men and a 21-year-old man.
Detectives from the Met Police’s Sapphire Command began investigating following an allegation relating to alleged offences between May and November 2012.
You may also want to watch:
DCI Adam Lowe, from Sapphire Command, said: “These arrests are part of an investigation into rape and serious sexual assault carried out by a group of men in Newham and the wider east London area.
“Our enquiries continue.”
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 4 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 7 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 8 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Romford add to management team as Boro win 11-goal Waltham Abbey friendly
Anyone with information call police on 020 8217 6531 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Cash was also seized from one address, and drugs seized from another property, both in Newham.
A 26-year-old man and two women, aged 47 and 50, were arrested on suspicion of fraud.
The 47-year-old woman and and the 26-year-old man were arrested in Newham while the 50-year-old woman was arrested in Redbridge.