Havering man one of eight arrested over alleged rape of girl under 16
- Credit: Archant
A Havering man is one of eight arrested this morning on suspicion of the rape of a girl under 16.
Police swooped at 5am in a pre-planned operation, targeting nine addresses in Havering, Newham, and Redbridg.
Officers also targeted a house in Hertfordshire.
The men, who are in custody at an east London police station, are five 23-year-old men, two 24-year-old men and a 21-year-old man.
Detectives from the Met Police’s Sapphire Command began investigating following an allegation relating to alleged offences between May and November 2012.
You may also want to watch:
DCI Adam Lowe, from Sapphire Command, said: “These arrests are part of an investigation into rape and serious sexual assault carried out by a group of men in Newham and the wider east London area.
“Our enquiries continue.”
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 3 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 4 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 5 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 6 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
Anyone with information call police on 020 8217 6531 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Cash was also seized from one address, and drugs seized from another property, both in Newham.
A 26-year-old man and two women, aged 47 and 50, were arrested on suspicion of fraud.
The 47-year-old woman and and the 26-year-old man were arrested in Newham while the 50-year-old woman was arrested in Redbridge.