Havering man one of eight arrested over alleged rape of girl under 16
- Credit: Archant
A Havering man is one of eight arrested this morning on suspicion of the rape of a girl under 16.
Police swooped at 5am in a pre-planned operation, targeting nine addresses in Havering, Newham, and Redbridg.
Officers also targeted a house in Hertfordshire.
The men, who are in custody at an east London police station, are five 23-year-old men, two 24-year-old men and a 21-year-old man.
Detectives from the Met Police’s Sapphire Command began investigating following an allegation relating to alleged offences between May and November 2012.
You may also want to watch:
DCI Adam Lowe, from Sapphire Command, said: “These arrests are part of an investigation into rape and serious sexual assault carried out by a group of men in Newham and the wider east London area.
“Our enquiries continue.”
- 1 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 2 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 3 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 4 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 5 Summer camps and classes in and around Romford
- 6 Wanstead and Havering residents 'make noise' for proportional representation
- 7 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 8 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
Anyone with information call police on 020 8217 6531 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Cash was also seized from one address, and drugs seized from another property, both in Newham.
A 26-year-old man and two women, aged 47 and 50, were arrested on suspicion of fraud.
The 47-year-old woman and and the 26-year-old man were arrested in Newham while the 50-year-old woman was arrested in Redbridge.