Havering man one of eight arrested over alleged rape of girl under 16
- Credit: Archant
A Havering man is one of eight arrested this morning on suspicion of the rape of a girl under 16.
Police swooped at 5am in a pre-planned operation, targeting nine addresses in Havering, Newham, and Redbridg.
Officers also targeted a house in Hertfordshire.
The men, who are in custody at an east London police station, are five 23-year-old men, two 24-year-old men and a 21-year-old man.
Detectives from the Met Police’s Sapphire Command began investigating following an allegation relating to alleged offences between May and November 2012.
DCI Adam Lowe, from Sapphire Command, said: “These arrests are part of an investigation into rape and serious sexual assault carried out by a group of men in Newham and the wider east London area.
“Our enquiries continue.”
- 1 Apology issued after NHS nurse 'was failed by short-staffed Queen's Hospital maternity ward'
- 2 Supermarket giant Aldi confirms construction of new Romford store is ‘progressing well’
- 3 Former Upminster farmer hopes to buy back land, but is wary of price going 'up and up and up'
- 4 13 flats and three commercial units in new four-storey block approved for Romford town centre
- 5 Hornchurch man given three-year football banning order for Nazi salutes
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 'He fought for life': Boxing match to help disabled five-year-old continue his passion
- 8 Another dispersal order in Elm Park amid youth ASB crackdown
- 9 Police chief hopes to introduce Romford town centre team ‘as soon as possible’
- 10 Queen’s Theatre only site in London to receive Grade-II listing for Platinum Jubilee
Anyone with information call police on 020 8217 6531 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Cash was also seized from one address, and drugs seized from another property, both in Newham.
A 26-year-old man and two women, aged 47 and 50, were arrested on suspicion of fraud.
The 47-year-old woman and and the 26-year-old man were arrested in Newham while the 50-year-old woman was arrested in Redbridge.