Havering courier critical after thieves hit him with own van and leave him for dead
- Credit: Archant
A van driver has been critically injured after thieves hit him with his own vehicle and left him for dead in the road.
The courier, from Havering, was making a delivery in Wood Avenue, Purfleet, Essex, at about 12.20pm yesterday when two men hijacked his vehicle before driving off.
The victim tried to stop the thieves, clinging to the outside of the cab, but fell off after about 100 yards and was run over by the van, sustaining multiple, serious injuries.
The would-be thieves abandoned the van, leaving the victim lying injured in the road, before running off in the direction of the Circus Tavern, in Meads Corner, Purfleet.
An air ambulance landed nearby and took the driver to the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, east London, where his condition remains critical.
The injured driver, in his 50s, is the owner of the van and is contracted to a major courier firm.
Ch Insp Rachel Nolan said: “This is an appalling incident in which a driver has been critically injured while trying to prevent the theft of his van and the packages he was carrying for a courier company. The two thieves callously drove off while the man was holding on to the cab then ran away leaving him with terrible injuries. We urgently need help from the public to find these criminals.”
- 1 TfL confirms plan to 'strengthen' Gallows Corner flyover 'for many generations to come'
- 2 Man charged with murder of 'loving father' from Romford
- 3 Shop worker racially abused in Brentwood Tesco
- 4 Property spotlight: The origins of Havering’s planned garden city
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'genuine soul' fatally stabbed on birthday weekend
- 6 Man dies after Romford car park incident
- 7 'No one ever consulted me': Rejected microbrewery owner raises questions after application knocked back
- 8 Stakeholders' silence over Romford's The Liberty sale reports
- 9 Estate agency opens first Havering branch in Hornchurch
- 10 Cranham woman ‘near to tears’ after 7.5-hour wait with painful tooth infection
Two men, aged 26 and 28 and both from Purfleet, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in Grays, at about 2am today
Any witnesses who have not yet contacted police or anyone with information about events leading to the incident should call 101, send an email to email@example.com or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.