Harold Wood prison guard Lorraine Barwell died of serious head injury
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Prison security officer Lorraine Barwell died from a serious head injury, a post mortem has found.
The 54-year-old ,of Harold Wood, was attacked as she prepared to escort a prisoner to a jail van at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday last week. She died in hospital on Friday.
Post-mortem tests show the provisional cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, police have said.
Ms Barwell had worked for company Serco for more than 10 years.
Humphrey Burke, 22, of no fixed abode, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday charged with grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on July 15.
You may also want to watch:
Scotland Yard, Serco and the Ministry of Justice are investigating Ms Barwell’s death.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 3 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 4 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 5 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 6 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?