Harold Wood prison guard Lorraine Barwell died of serious head injury
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Prison security officer Lorraine Barwell died from a serious head injury, a post mortem has found.
The 54-year-old ,of Harold Wood, was attacked as she prepared to escort a prisoner to a jail van at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday last week. She died in hospital on Friday.
Post-mortem tests show the provisional cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, police have said.
Ms Barwell had worked for company Serco for more than 10 years.
Humphrey Burke, 22, of no fixed abode, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday charged with grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on July 15.
You may also want to watch:
Scotland Yard, Serco and the Ministry of Justice are investigating Ms Barwell’s death.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 3 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 6 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 8 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 9 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 10 Construction of new Rainham Leisure centre pushed back to 2022