Harold Wood prison guard Lorraine Barwell died of serious head injury
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Prison security officer Lorraine Barwell died from a serious head injury, a post mortem has found.
The 54-year-old ,of Harold Wood, was attacked as she prepared to escort a prisoner to a jail van at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday last week. She died in hospital on Friday.
Post-mortem tests show the provisional cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, police have said.
Ms Barwell had worked for company Serco for more than 10 years.
Humphrey Burke, 22, of no fixed abode, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday charged with grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on July 15.
You may also want to watch:
Scotland Yard, Serco and the Ministry of Justice are investigating Ms Barwell’s death.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 5 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 6 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 7 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 8 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 9 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months