Harold Wood prison guard Lorraine Barwell died of serious head injury
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Prison security officer Lorraine Barwell died from a serious head injury, a post mortem has found.
The 54-year-old ,of Harold Wood, was attacked as she prepared to escort a prisoner to a jail van at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday last week. She died in hospital on Friday.
Post-mortem tests show the provisional cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, police have said.
Ms Barwell had worked for company Serco for more than 10 years.
Humphrey Burke, 22, of no fixed abode, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday charged with grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on July 15.
You may also want to watch:
Scotland Yard, Serco and the Ministry of Justice are investigating Ms Barwell’s death.
- 1 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 4 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 5 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 6 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 7 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 8 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 9 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 10 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder