Harold Wood prison guard Lorraine Barwell died of serious head injury
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Prison security officer Lorraine Barwell died from a serious head injury, a post mortem has found.
The 54-year-old ,of Harold Wood, was attacked as she prepared to escort a prisoner to a jail van at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday last week. She died in hospital on Friday.
Post-mortem tests show the provisional cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, police have said.
Ms Barwell had worked for company Serco for more than 10 years.
Humphrey Burke, 22, of no fixed abode, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday charged with grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on July 15.
You may also want to watch:
Scotland Yard, Serco and the Ministry of Justice are investigating Ms Barwell’s death.
- 1 Watch police break up 20-person Hornchurch baby shower
- 2 Can you help find Ricky Wellington, last seen on January 22 in Hornchurch?
- 3 Leaked council email casts doubt over Brookside theatre's future
- 4 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 5 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 6 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 7 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 8 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 9 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 10 Charity's 10 years of teaching safe travel to vulnerable young people