Harold Hill woman and two men accused of New Year’s Day murder

A Harold Hill woman was accused in court today (Wednesday) of having been involved with two men in a “brutal and sustained attack” in an Essex street which resulted in the death of another man on New Year’s Day.

Victim Oliver Smith-Daye, 29, was attacked with a golf club, punched and stamped on in Trimley Close, Clacton, while a woman was seen pushing him, Chelmsford Crown Court was told.

Neighbours were woken by the noise, and one saw an attack on carpenter Mr Smith-Daye, prosecutor Vincent Coughlin QC told a jury.

Charlie Jacobs, 23, of Beach Road, Clacton, Alan Didier 42, Renfrew Close, East Ham, and 21-year-old Elisha Francois, of Amersham Walk, Harold Hill, have pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Smith-Daye.

The court heard how Mr Smith-Daye, of Clacton, told a friend just after the attack: “My neck. I’ve broken my neck. I can’t believe they hit me like that.”

You may also want to watch:

He died later the same day in hospital, said Mr Coughlin.

Mr Smith-Daye had been to a New Year party with friend Mark Fletcher at a house next door to where the three murder accused were that evening.

Most Read

Mr Smith-Daye left at around 4am but returned for car keys which he had left behind.

There was no response so he called through the letter box.

Francois came out of the neighbouring house and accused Mr Smith-Daye of waking her child, the court heard.

They got involved in a row before Jacobs joined in, followed by Didier, it was alleged.

Mr Coughlin claimed that Didier armed himself with a golf club and went charging after Mr Smith-Daye.

The trial, expected to last three weeks, continue.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter