Harold Hill man jailed for seven years over ‘bogus postman’ aggravated burglary in Brentwood
- Credit: Archant
A thug from Harold Hill who forced his way into a woman’s Brentwood home and tied her up while he ransacked it has been jailed for seven and a half years.
Carmelo Farrugia, 31, of Penzance Road, was sentenced for one count of aggravated burglary at Basildon Crown Court on Wednesday, February 27.
He previously pleaded guilty at the same court on Thursday, September 13.
At around 10.45am on August 6, 2018, a woman received a knock on her door from a man claiming to be a postal worker who had a recorded delivery for her.
The woman spoke to him from an upstairs window and came down to open the door to him.
You may also want to watch:
The postal worker then barged passed her, entered the property and pinned her to the floor. This assault caused bruising and grazing.
Two other men then came in, stepped over both the bogus postal worker and woman and carried out a messy search in all of the rooms, including the loft.
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
- 6 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Bekash restaurant ranked best curry house in Havering on Tripadviser
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
The victim was forced to different rooms as they searched for possessions.
They tied her wrists using cable ties, threw a sheet over her head and left in a vehicle, which Essex Police found was registered to Farrugia.
Farrugia was arrested the following day at Heathrow Airport after booking a last minute flight to Malta in an attempt to flee the country.
Investigating officer Pc Frankie Cole, of Brentwood CID, said: “Farrugia and two other men carried out a brazen attack on a woman in her own home after she innocently believed she had received a delivery.
“The suspects had no regard for the victim. They tied her up, put a sheet over her head and marched her from room to room as they searched for possessions. Despite this, she still bravely stood up to them and later managed to free herself before calling us.
“I would like to thank the victim for her courage and I hope this recent sentence has brought some closure for her.
“We were able to link Farrugia to the vehicle involved and he has been sent to prison.
“We still need to locate the other men involved and our investigation continues.
“Anyone with information is asked to call Brentwood CID on 101 quoting crime reference 42/135139/18 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”