Harold Hill man held up at knifepoint for van full of Amazon parcels
A Harold Hill courier has described the “surreal” moment he was held up at knifepoint for his van full of Amazon parcels.
James Hartwell, 23, was doing deliveries in Buckhurst Hill when a man approached him.
He said: “He came up to me with a knife and told me to give him the keys.
“I just gave them to him and he drove off – it was so surreal I didn’t even realise what was happening.
“I’ve never experienced anything like that before.”
You may also want to watch:
The robbery was a sore blow for Mr Hartwell, of Woodbridge Close, who is self-employed and relied on the van for work.
He said he has since been out of work and was charged thousands of pounds by a van rental company.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford add to management team as Boro win 11-goal Waltham Abbey friendly
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 8 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
Although police recovered the white Ford Transit abandoned in Hainault days later, the 35 Amazon parcels had disappeared.
Essex Police are appealing for information on the robbery in Roding View on September 20, shortly before 11.30am.
A spokesman for Amazon said all customers waiting for items in the stolen van have now received their orders.
The robber is described as a white man aged between 25 and 35, 5ft 11ins tall with brown hair.
He was wearing a black and blue top and threatened Mr Hartwell with a “ragged kitchen knife”.
No arrests have been made. Anyone with information is urged to call Loughton Police on 101.