Great-grandmother donates caravanning cash in honour of cancer-suffering granddaughter
- Credit: Archant
A great-grandmother who won a charity raffle from her caravan club has donated the cash in honour of her cancer-stricken granddaughter.
Maureen Wooderson is a keen member of the Loners’ Group, a caravan club which encourages those who have split up from or lost their partner to carry on with the hobby.
And at the club’s AGM, 76-year-old Maureen couldn’t believe her luck when she won a £153 cheque to donate to a charity of her choice – Cancer Research UK in Hornchurch.
Presenting the cash on Friday, Maureen said she had chosen Cancer Research in honour of her granddaughter Lauren Dixon, who has been battling the disease for six years.
“It was my first thought –we desperately need to find a cure soon,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
The 31-year-old mum of two from Upminster beat breast cancer four years ago, but in 2011 was diagnosed with tumours in her liver and spine.
Maureen said: “It’s really not good at the moment. We have to try and be strong.”
- 1 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 2 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 3 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 4 Summer camps and classes in and around Romford
- 5 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 6 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 7 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 10 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
She also urged other ‘loners’ to join the caravan club rather than give up their beloved hobby.
Maureeen joined the club in 1985 after splitting up from her husband.
“It’s sad – many pensioners think they can’t caravan on their own once they lose their partner or split up,” she said.
To find out more visit www.lonersgroup.org.uk.