Gang jailed for ‘terrifying’ robberies in Romford
- Credit: Met Police
Three men who committed four violent robberies in Romford and Ilford over an eight day period, have been jailed for more than 14 years.
The trio, sentenced at the Old Bailey on Friday, robbed small off-licences using weapons such as knives, imitation firearms and noxious substances.
Cristi-Valentin Tabacaru, 19, of Bentry Road, Dagenham, Alexandru Nalbariu, 20, and Razvan Nalbariu, 24, both of Charlotte Gardens, Havering Park, all admitted conspiracy to commit robbery and to possess an imitation firearm.
The elder Nalbariu also pleaded guilty to possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.
The robberies took place between May 31 and June 7, late at night.
You may also want to watch:
Each member of the gang had specific roles. Razyan Nalbariu carried the imitation firearm, Tabacaru stole the goods and attacked victims and Alesandru Nalbariu was the lookout, also becoming violent on occasion.
In each robbery, the victim was attacked with knives, imitation firearms and noxious substances.
- 1 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 4 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 5 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 6 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 7 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 8 Woman 'repulsed and sick' after finding bug in Lidl yoghurt
- 9 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 10 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
In at least one case the victim has been unable to return to work since the offence.
After the third robbery, a witness was able to provide police with a registration number for the gang’s car.
Police stopped the vehicle on June 14 in Chelmsford.
All three occupants were arrested, and a number of items such as pepper spray were seized.
DNA and CCTV evidence linked the men to the scenes of the crimes.
Det Cons Lee Warrington, from the Met’s Flying Squad, said: “This group of men terrified their victims in an eight day robbery spree.
“The imitation weapons they used looked real and the victims truly believed that their lives were in danger.
“I’m pleased these individuals and now behind bars where they can reflect on their actions for the foreseeable future.”
Detectives believe the gang stole approximately £5,000 worth of goods and cash during the course of the four robberies
Tabacaru and Alexandru Nalbariu were both sentenced to four years and four months in a young offenders’ institution.
Razvan Nalbariu was jailed for six years.