Fundraising page to pay for funeral of Jodie Chesney raises nearly £8,000 in two days
- Credit: Met Police
A fundraising page set up to raise money for the funeral of 17-year-old Jodie Chesney who was murdered in Harold Hill has raised nearly £8,000 in just a few days.
Organised by Romford charity SMILE Essex and London, the page has raised £7,950 since Sunday.
Jodie was stabbed in a park just off St Neot’s Road in Harold Hill on Friday night, and she died in the ambulance on the way to hospital.
Tributes have been paid by friends and family, and large bouquets of flowers have been left at the scene.
Members of the Harold Hill Unleashed Facebook page have also started a campaign to turn the area purple by tying bows and ribbons on trees and lampposts.
You may also want to watch:
The page states: “The whole community are still trying to come to terms with this shocking event.
“As a local charity we want to support the family as much as we can to alleviate the financial stress on this young lady’s funeral.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 3 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 4 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 5 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 6 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 7 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 8 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
“We are in contact with the immediate family and have agreed to support them with the cost of the funeral arrangements.
“Once a funeral directors have been chosen we will be writing a cheque to cover the costs.
“We are aware that the local community will want to help with this appeal so as well as making a financial donation towards this from our own account we have set this page up for anyone who wishes to support the family further.”
To donate to the page go to https://www.gofundme.com/vth8tt-funeral-fund