Friday 13th pickpocket pair caged
Two women pickpockets, caught red handed by plain-clothed police officers in Romford, have been jailed for a total of seven months - and all within 24 hours.
Parashkeva Kircheva, 28, and Evgeniya Ivanova, 21, were arrested last Friday (May 13).
They were charged and appeared at Redbridge Magistrates’ Court the following day, where they pleaded guilty to theft.
Kircheva was sentenced to three months imprisonment and Ivanova was sentenced to four months imprisonment.
Officers from BusTag, part of the Met’s Police Service’s Safer Transport Command, funded by Transport for London (TfL), were carrying out patrols around Romford Town Centre when they spotted Ivanova and Kircheva acting suspiciously.
You may also want to watch:
Kircheva was seen stealing a purse from the handbag of an elderly shopper, while Ivanova concealed her actions.
The pair were arrested on suspicion of theft and later charged.
- 1 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 2 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 3 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 4 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 5 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 6 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Havering parents and children soars
- 8 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 9 Schools say lack of funding means they can't carry out mass Covid testing
- 10 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
The purse - thrown away by Kircheva as she was being detained - was found and returned to the victim.
Chief superintendent Sultan Taylor, said: “Thanks to the observations by the BusTag officers, these two pickpockets have been brought to justice and taken off London’s streets within a short timescale.
“I urge people to always be aware of their surroundings and ensure they keep their possessions zipped up, to prevent this type of crime.”