Former West Ham player accused of gang rape in Romford claims woman ‘encouraged’ him to get into bed
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
An ex-West Ham star accused of taking part in a gang rape said the woman was “encouraging” him to get into bed.
Midfielder Cristian Montano, 22, took the woman back to Axiom Apartments in Mercury Gardens, Romford, with two friends and attacked her as she pleaded with them to stop, it is claimed.
The woman says she woke up with Andres Hurtado, 23, on top of her while Montano and Camilo Valencia, 22, watched.
When Hurtado had finished, Montano had sex with the girl before Valencia got on top of her, jurors heard.
But Montano insisted the woman encouraged him into bed as she “wanted a cuddle,” Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
You may also want to watch:
The footballer said he started to have sex with the girl but stopped quickly after feeling “ashamed” about cheating on his girlfriend.
He said: “She was encouraging me to get into bed with her and then I did.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 7 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 8 Brentwood's unsung heroes helping the community during the pandemic
- 9 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 10 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
“I realised she wanted to have sex with me - we didn’t last long because I felt bad for my girlfriend.”
Montano had earlier described how he felt “disrespected” by Hurtado after finding them having sex in his bedroom.
He said: “She was drunk but she knew what she was doing.”
The victim told jurors she had repeatedly told the men to stop but was overpowered and raped repeatedly. She met Montano on a night-out with friends in Liquid nightclub in South Street, it is said.
She remembers leaving the club before losing her friend - and said the next thing she knew she was naked in bed with Hurtado on top of her.
Afterwards, the three men called her a taxi.
Montano was released by West Ham last year and currently has no club.
All three defendants deny rape. The trial continues.
For more on the trial, click the link on the right.