Former West Ham player accused of gang rape in Romford claims woman ‘encouraged’ him to get into bed
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
An ex-West Ham star accused of taking part in a gang rape said the woman was “encouraging” him to get into bed.
Midfielder Cristian Montano, 22, took the woman back to Axiom Apartments in Mercury Gardens, Romford, with two friends and attacked her as she pleaded with them to stop, it is claimed.
The woman says she woke up with Andres Hurtado, 23, on top of her while Montano and Camilo Valencia, 22, watched.
When Hurtado had finished, Montano had sex with the girl before Valencia got on top of her, jurors heard.
But Montano insisted the woman encouraged him into bed as she “wanted a cuddle,” Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The footballer said he started to have sex with the girl but stopped quickly after feeling “ashamed” about cheating on his girlfriend.
He said: “She was encouraging me to get into bed with her and then I did.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 3 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 4 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 5 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 6 'Irreversible stress': Nearly 2,000 oppose move to suspend Cranham and Upminster midwifery service
- 7 TOWIE stars and West Ham footballer attend Upminster health centre's launch
- 8 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 9 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 10 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
“I realised she wanted to have sex with me - we didn’t last long because I felt bad for my girlfriend.”
Montano had earlier described how he felt “disrespected” by Hurtado after finding them having sex in his bedroom.
He said: “She was drunk but she knew what she was doing.”
The victim told jurors she had repeatedly told the men to stop but was overpowered and raped repeatedly. She met Montano on a night-out with friends in Liquid nightclub in South Street, it is said.
She remembers leaving the club before losing her friend - and said the next thing she knew she was naked in bed with Hurtado on top of her.
Afterwards, the three men called her a taxi.
Montano was released by West Ham last year and currently has no club.
All three defendants deny rape. The trial continues.
For more on the trial, click the link on the right.