Former West Ham player accused of gang rape in Romford claims woman ‘encouraged’ him to get into bed
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
An ex-West Ham star accused of taking part in a gang rape said the woman was “encouraging” him to get into bed.
Midfielder Cristian Montano, 22, took the woman back to Axiom Apartments in Mercury Gardens, Romford, with two friends and attacked her as she pleaded with them to stop, it is claimed.
The woman says she woke up with Andres Hurtado, 23, on top of her while Montano and Camilo Valencia, 22, watched.
When Hurtado had finished, Montano had sex with the girl before Valencia got on top of her, jurors heard.
But Montano insisted the woman encouraged him into bed as she “wanted a cuddle,” Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
You may also want to watch:
The footballer said he started to have sex with the girl but stopped quickly after feeling “ashamed” about cheating on his girlfriend.
He said: “She was encouraging me to get into bed with her and then I did.
- 1 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 2 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 3 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 4 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 5 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 6 Havering Council looking for residents to become Covid marshals
- 7 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 8 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
“I realised she wanted to have sex with me - we didn’t last long because I felt bad for my girlfriend.”
Montano had earlier described how he felt “disrespected” by Hurtado after finding them having sex in his bedroom.
He said: “She was drunk but she knew what she was doing.”
The victim told jurors she had repeatedly told the men to stop but was overpowered and raped repeatedly. She met Montano on a night-out with friends in Liquid nightclub in South Street, it is said.
She remembers leaving the club before losing her friend - and said the next thing she knew she was naked in bed with Hurtado on top of her.
Afterwards, the three men called her a taxi.
Montano was released by West Ham last year and currently has no club.
All three defendants deny rape. The trial continues.
For more on the trial, click the link on the right.