Emerson Park doctor jailed for indecently assaulting patients

Dr Mohammed Haq on his way to St Albans Crown Court. Photo: South Beds News Agency

Dr Mohammed Haq on his way to St Albans Crown Court. Photo: South Beds News Agency - Credit: SOUTH BEDS NEWS AGENCY 01582 572

A doctor found guilty of indecently assaulting a teenage girl and three women during unnecessary clinical examinations was jailed on Friday.

Retired GP, Mohammed Haq, 74, of Parkstone Avenue, Emerson Park, was led from the dock at St Albans Crown Court to begin an 18 month sentence.

A victim impact statement read out to the court said: “Since that evening, I have not been in any relationship. I didn’t want to be touched by any man.”

The pregnant victim could not bear the thought of a doctor touching her and insisted on having a caesarean.

“I have never felt safe to have a relationship,” she said. “He took from me the ability to love and he’s a wicked man who got his kicks by abusing women.”

The offences occurred in the late 1970s and early 1980s at three practices in Hatfield.

Haq had been suspended for nine months by the General Medical Council in the 1980s because of complaints by women patients but there was no criminal investigation. He later resumed practicing, retiring in 2014.

Most Read

Passing sentence, Judge Andrew Bright QC said as a GP the victims had placed total trust in Haq.

“It was complete and total trust and you abused that trust with all your victims, including a 15 year old who was in no position to speak up for herself,” he said.

He added that by contesting the allegations and forcing the victims to go to court and relive their ordeals, it was clear Haq felt no remorse.

He jailed him for 18 months, ordered him to pay £7,500 towards court costs and register as a sex offender.

Haq was convicted of five counts of indecent assault relating to breast examinations. He was found not guilty by the jury of inappropriate internal examinations.

He had denied 10 offences of indecent assault relating to four women, the judge ruled there was no case to answer in regard to two offences, the jury failed to reach a decision about another charge.