Elderly man gagged and injured during burglary at Hornchurch home - but he managed to kick one attacker in genitals
The 86-year-old, a retired doctor and barrister who also served in the armed forces, was at his home in Wood Lane, Hornchurch, when at around 10.15am, he heard the doorbell ring.
He answered the door to a man who barged into his house with an imitation firearm.
A second man entered the house and during an attack made by the two men, the victim managed to try and defend himself by kicking one of the assailants in the genitals.
But pensioner was gagged with a tea towel and the men stole a number of items before leaving the house.
Items taken included a 9ct gold Parker Flame pen, a Longines gold watch with a discoloured face, a silver ring with horizontally set amethyst, a pale blue stone and gold earrings, as well as imitation Rolex and Tag watches.
You may also want to watch:
The victim was taken to an east London hospital as he was left with bruising under his right eye, cuts to his left fingers, and a bruised left knee but he has since been discharged.
The suspects were both described as being dark-skinned Eastern European men in their early to mid 20s.
- 1 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 4 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 5 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 6 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 7 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 8 Summer camps and classes in and around Romford
- 9 Wanstead and Havering residents 'make noise' for proportional representation
- 10 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
The first man was said to be well-built, wearing a cream coloured hooded top, cream coloured tracksuit bottoms and white coloured trainers, while the second of the men was of medium build and wearing dark clothing.
DC Anoushka Dunic, of Havering Police said: “This was a vicious attack on an elderly man and I would appeal for anyone who may have seen these two males in the area at the time of the incident or if they have been offered the items to contact us immediately.”
Anyone with information can call Romford CID on 01708 779 264 or the police non-emergency line on 101 or anonymously on Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.