What happened when police reopened an investigation into an Essex paedophile ring?
- Credit: Archant
A police force’s failure to interview key witnesses, who possessed critical evidence about alleged corruption, is explored in the latest episode of our new podcast series.
Unfinished: Shoebury’s Lost Boys investigates how Essex Police’s investigation into a paedophile ring was bungled in 1989/90.
Episode Six, from Archant Podcasts, looks at how in 2016, after Yellow Advertiser reporter Charles Thomson began investigating, police announced a new investigation.
The then Essex police commissioner Nick Alston said that the handling of the initial case would also be investigated. But in 2017, the review was closed down and police said they could not find any evidence of impropriety.
However, Mr Thomson kept investigating and tracked down several people who had been intimately involved in the original case, but who said they had not been contacted by the police and knew nothing about any review.
These sources possessed hundreds of documents, including detailed records of police allegedly threatening and intimidating witnesses, and a file in which a police officer admitted that one of the paedophile ringleaders was a “registered informant” and a senior officer was blocking investigations into him.
However, Essex Police insisted it had “carried out extensive enquiries, interviewing numerous witnesses and people who came forward to tell us they had been abused.”
- 1 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 2 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 3 Town Hall cleaner feels 'failed' as he remains homeless for third month
- 4 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 5 'It felt like a dream': Upminster headteacher attends Queen's Garden Party
- 6 Proposal to demolish Hornchurch bungalow to build four-bed house
- 7 'Dangerous' congestion: Harold Wood school's bid to ease 'highway safety issue' with new access gate
- 8 TfL confirms plan to 'strengthen' Gallows Corner flyover 'for many generations to come'
- 9 'Wall is going to give': Leaky shower wreaks havoc in Harold Hill home as family await further repairs
- 10 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
The podcast also recounts how the emergence of a new victim, who possessed a wealth of information that could only be known by somebody directly involved, triggered the reopening of a police investigation into the ring in 2017.
Episode seven, out later this week, will detail how that victim’s evidence linked the Shoebury paedophile gang to some of the UK’s most notorious child killers.
To listen and subscribe, visit www.podfollow.com/unfinished-1/