Criminals targeting cash machines across Havering
- Credit: Archant
Cash points in the borough are being targeted by card copying machines.
A skimming device was recovered from an ATM at Tesco Extra in Hornchurch on Saturday morning. It was on the machine nearest the store.
An email sent by Havering Police to members of the public stated: “Cash points at Tescos are being targeted across the borough and this is the fourth device that has been seized at this location.”
The email goes on to detail the types of machines being used at ATMs.
Devices include those which copy cards, swallow cards or stop the cash from coming out while the person believes their transaction is incomplete.
Hidden cameras film the PIN number being typed in so it can be used by those fixing the devices to the cash points.
The police said: “If you use an ATM, always remember to shield your PIN number when entering.
- 1 Dispersal order enforced in Romford as crime increases
- 2 Stakeholders' silence over Romford's The Liberty sale reports
- 3 Shop worker racially abused in Brentwood Tesco
- 4 Cranham woman ‘near to tears’ after 7.5-hour wait with painful tooth infection
- 5 Man dies after Romford car park incident
- 6 Estate agency opens first Havering branch in Hornchurch
- 7 Harold Hill venue named best banqueting suite of the year with award
- 8 Tributes paid to 'loving' grandad who died in A127 car crash
- 9 Upminster nursery 'deeply disappointed' by Ofsted outcome
- 10 'Partygate' police looking at Havering Council election count complaints
“Your card is no good to them if they do not know your PIN.”