Court appearance for Harold Hill man accused of murdering soldier Lee Rigby
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The two men accused of murdering soldier Lee Rigby will appear in court today.
Michael Adebolajo, 28, from Harold Hill, and Michael Adebowale, 22, from Greenwich, south-east London, are charged with killing Fusilier Rigby as he returned to Woolwich barracks in south-east London on May 22.
The father of one died from multiple cut and stab wounds when he was attacked in Artillery Place.
Adebolajo and Adebowale are expected to appear via videolink at the Old Bailey today for a plea and case management hearing, and a preparatory hearing.
Adebolajo is also accused of the attempted murder of two police officers and possession of a firearm - a 9.4mm KNIL model 91 revolver - with intent to cause others to believe that violence would be used.
He has asked to be known as Mujaahid Abu Hamza in court.
He claimed that he was attacked by prison guards while being held on remand at high-security jail Belmarsh, and lost two teeth while he was restrained.
- 1 Proposal to bulldoze Romford shops to make way for 15 homes
- 2 'A social club for the community': 90-year-old Hornchurch snooker hall to close after 'losing battle' over lease
- 3 Bid to turn Harold Wood motor shop into three-bedroom home refused by council
- 4 Plans for new Gidea Park fries and chicken takeaway rejected
- 5 Man on trial for Brentwood double murder was in 'flight mode', court hears
- 6 MP Julia Lopez announces resignation as minister and calls for PM to 'step aside'
- 7 Romford pair to 'bring a little bit of raving' to 'more mature' Hornchurch community
- 8 'I hadn’t done anything wrong’: Romford man wins five-month fight over parking fine
- 9 Man arrested after allegedly begging while armed with hammer
- 10 Watch: Brawl erupts on Heath Park street outside pub
The Prison Officers’ Association insisted that the staff had used only approved techniques.