Copper thieves cause fire in Rainham flats
Copper thieves have been blamed for hundreds of pounds worth of damage after a blaze in a block of flats at the Orchard Village estate
Firefighters from Wennington Fire Station were called to the estate in Lowen Road, Rainham, at around 6pm on Saturday.
The blaze started in a small electrical cupboard in the flats, caused by a flood when thieves ripped out copper pipes.
Crews were able to bring the fire under control.
“The fire was caused by the water running throughout the first floor which caused an electrical intake cable to fuse out,” a spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said:
You may also want to watch:
“They were lucky because it was a relatively small fire but things could have been worse especially because there were a few families still living in the flats.”
- 1 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 2 Letters: Social distancing, vaccination experience and how to stop catalytic converter thefts
- 3 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 4 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 5 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 6 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 7 'It was surreal': Hornchurch personal trainer wins £10k with family on TV gameshow
- 8 Brentwood Tudor church damaged in illegal New Year's Eve party raises nearly £20,000 for repairs
- 9 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
- 10 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
The 26-block flat is due to be knocked down in the next few months as part of the regeneration of the estate.
Four families still living in the flat were left without any electricity for a number of hours following the incident.
Residents living in the Lower Mardyke Avenue were also without any power until 8.30pm.
The damage to the flat is expected to run into hundreds of pounds.
June Morton managing director of Old Ford Housing Association, which runs the estate, said: “Our neighbourhood officers visited residents immediately after the fire and quickly established that no one was hurt.
“Their damage assessment found that empty flats were most significantly affected however power supplies to a handful of residents’ homes were briefly cut so they stayed to offer help and reassurance until this was resolved.
“Old Ford Housing Association does not tolerate theft and criminal damage in Orchard Village and is working with the police to investigate this incident.”