Collier Row duo jailed after kidnap victim threatened with rape and dumped in Gants Hill
- Credit: Cambridge Police
Four men responsible for kidnapping a man and assaulting him have been jailed for a total of more than 35 years.
The horrific ordeal saw the victim kidnapped from his home in Peterborough and driven to a gym in Dagenham where he was threatened with rape and assaulted.
Two of the gang members, Ross Bright, 30 and Alex Callcut, 31, of Highfield Road, Collier Row, have now been imprisoned for a total of 13 and a half years.
The kidnapping began on December 18 last year when the victim, a man in his 20s, heard a knock at the door.
He was greeted by two men, who claimed they were police officers and that they needed to speak to him about a matter in Ilford.
You may also want to watch:
Suspecting something wasn’t right, the man told his wife to call the police and confirm the situation.
On hearing this the two men barged their way into the house, covered the victim’s head with a jumper and bundled him into the back of a Mitsubishi Warrior.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 5 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 6 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 8 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 9 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 10 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
Swiping his mobile phone, the duo told him that he owed them £20,000, before beating him around the head.
The two men who bundled the victim into the Mitsubishi were later identified as being Nigel Collins, 38, of Fremantle Road, Barkingside and Callcut.
On Friday, the duo was each sentenced to 10 years in prison at Cambridge Crown Court after they were found guilty of conspiracy to kidnap.
Tyssen Newland, 36, of Treecot Drive in Leigh-on-Sea, who was waiting in the back of the car, was sentenced to 14 years in prison.
Whilst driving, the victim was assaulted, threatened and made to call members of his family to tell them they needed to pay in order to secure his release.
The group eventually arrived at The Unorthodox Gym, in Rainham Road North, Dagenham, where Bright led the group inside.
The victim was threatened with rape and constantly assaulted.
Eventually, he was eventually driven to Perth Road, in Gants Hill, where he was pushed out of the vehicle with his head still covered, wearing just shorts, a t-shirt and no shoes.
After pleading guilty to conspiracy to kidnap earlier this year, Bright was jailed for three-and-a-half years on Friday.
Det Ch Insp Jerry Waite said: “The length of the sentences issued today just shows the severity of this crime which was clearly an organised kidnapping which has had a detrimental effect on not only the victim but also his family.”