Cannabis factory discovered in Upminster fire flat
A huge fire that ripped through a maisonette and forced residents to flee their homes was caused by a cannabis factory, detectives believe.
Thirteen people could only watch as flames towered over their building in Station Road, Upminster late on March 15.
The blaze, which was caught on CCTV by an onlooker, continued into the early hours of the morning and was tackled by 35 firefighters.
When inspecting a flat, officers found a number of cannabis plants, and they are now appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.
The owner of Prestige Bedrooms, which is underneath the flats, had just completed a £50,000 refurbishment when it was gutted by the fire.
He said: “It’s shocking and I’m very upset that it has been destroyed because of such wanton, illegal activities right in the heart of Upminster.
“It’s costing me an absolute fortune in losses and the shop still hasn’t been touched while they sort out the flat above. But we’re still open for business!”
- 1 Shop worker racially abused in Brentwood Tesco
- 2 Man dies after Romford car park incident
- 3 Stakeholders' silence over Romford's The Liberty sale reports
- 4 Cranham woman ‘near to tears’ after 7.5-hour wait with painful tooth infection
- 5 Dispersal order enforced in Romford as crime increases
- 6 Harold Hill venue named best banqueting suite of the year with award
- 7 Property spotlight: The origins of Havering’s planned garden city
- 8 Fried chicken chain Popeyes to open Romford restaurant
- 9 Estate agency opens first Havering branch in Hornchurch
- 10 9 great ways to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
One man has been interviewed under caution, but no arrests have been made.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Havering CID via 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.
Prestige Bedrooms can be contacted on 01708 224545.