Romford man jailed for ‘terrifying’ burglary in York Way Estate
- Credit: Archant
A Romford man who admitted breaking into a north London home has been jailed for more than four years.
Buster Goldsmith, 19, of Raven Close, Romford, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated burglary and one count of attempted burglary at Snaresbrook Crown Court on January 17.
On Monday, February 10, he was sentenced to 58 months in prison at the same court.
Goldsmith was one of a group of four suspects who broke into a house on the York Way Estate in Islington on Sunday, August 11 last year.
At 11.36pm, a 999 call was made from the address stating that a group of men had forced their way into the flat and made threats.
You may also want to watch:
The group were all wearing hoodies and masks but ran from the flat when the light was switched on by one of the occupants.
The group then tried unsuccessfully to break into a neighbouring flat before fleeing the scene. It was once they had ran from the building that police were called.
- 1 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 4 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 5 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 6 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 7 Captain Sam Roberts bids farewell and thanks Romford Junior Raiders
- 8 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 9 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
Goldsmith was detained and arrested only minutes after the 999 call was made, when an officer who was near the York Way Estate saw him hiding next to a car.
A CCTV review showed the group in balaclavas entering the ground floor lobby of the building, after entering the estate by climbing over a high fence.
All four males wore hoodies, balaclavas and latex gloves, police said.
Goldsmith was charged the next day.
Det Con Irfan Ahmad, who led the investigation, said: "This was a terrifying incident for the victims involved and they are still coming to terms with what happened that night.
"Their sense of security in their own homes - the place they should feel safest - has been shattered.
"We are pleased Goldsmith has done the right thing and acknowledged his involvement in the incident.
"We know however that there were a number of other individuals involved in this case and we are continuing our efforts to trace them."