Burglars smash through a wall in Romford to steal safe - which turns out to be empty
- Credit: Archant
It may have seemed like the perfect burglary when crooks chiselled their way through a concrete wall to steal a safe from a Romford business.
But their efforts would have been in vain once they opened the safe to find it was actually empty.
Ashley Vilka, director of Best Quote Screens Ltd, in Crow Lane, found the gaping 3ft by 3ft hole in the wall when he went to his office on Thursday morning.
He suspects the burglars must have chiselled through the five-inch wall for at least a day before they broke through and slid the safe out.
He said: “I couldn’t believe it when I came in; I opened the door and froze. I was shocked at the cheek of it.
“They would have had a surprise though when they opened it as there was no money in it.”
He added: “I locked up at 5.15pm the day before and there was no sign of it then. The safe was heavy so it would have taken three or four people to lift it, and they must have taken it in a van.”
- 1 Travel disruptions to look out for this week across east London
- 2 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 3 Heritage: How Gallows Corner got its sinister name
- 4 Hanukkah 2021: Five ways to celebrate in east London
- 5 Twelve Havering properties sold for more than £1m in October
- 6 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 7 How The Apprentice's Thomas Skinner pivoted his business to weather Covid
- 8 Restrictions tightened as Omicron detected in Brentwood
- 9 Free parking to 'boost Havering's high streets' for Christmas season
- 10 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital