Burglars smash through a wall in Romford to steal safe - which turns out to be empty
- Credit: Archant
It may have seemed like the perfect burglary when crooks chiselled their way through a concrete wall to steal a safe from a Romford business.
But their efforts would have been in vain once they opened the safe to find it was actually empty.
Ashley Vilka, director of Best Quote Screens Ltd, in Crow Lane, found the gaping 3ft by 3ft hole in the wall when he went to his office on Thursday morning.
He suspects the burglars must have chiselled through the five-inch wall for at least a day before they broke through and slid the safe out.
He said: “I couldn’t believe it when I came in; I opened the door and froze. I was shocked at the cheek of it.
You may also want to watch:
“They would have had a surprise though when they opened it as there was no money in it.”
He added: “I locked up at 5.15pm the day before and there was no sign of it then. The safe was heavy so it would have taken three or four people to lift it, and they must have taken it in a van.”
- 1 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 4 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 5 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 Gidea Park events planner hopes to host summer community festival
- 9 Polling places review underway ahead of 2022 ward increase
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford