Burglars smash through a wall in Romford to steal safe - which turns out to be empty
- Credit: Archant
It may have seemed like the perfect burglary when crooks chiselled their way through a concrete wall to steal a safe from a Romford business.
But their efforts would have been in vain once they opened the safe to find it was actually empty.
Ashley Vilka, director of Best Quote Screens Ltd, in Crow Lane, found the gaping 3ft by 3ft hole in the wall when he went to his office on Thursday morning.
He suspects the burglars must have chiselled through the five-inch wall for at least a day before they broke through and slid the safe out.
He said: “I couldn’t believe it when I came in; I opened the door and froze. I was shocked at the cheek of it.
You may also want to watch:
“They would have had a surprise though when they opened it as there was no money in it.”
He added: “I locked up at 5.15pm the day before and there was no sign of it then. The safe was heavy so it would have taken three or four people to lift it, and they must have taken it in a van.”
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 5 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 8 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches