Bruce’s stalker says he’s “not mentally unwell”

THE STALKER who harassed TV presenter Fiona Bruce with cards and flowers claiming to be her husband has had his sentencing adjourned yet again.

Peter Oakey, 51, of Burses Way, Hutton, who admits his actions breached a restraining order imposed in December 2008, has been due for sentence since Spring this year.

Oakey sent 20 cards to the 46-year-old BBC presenter signed “I love you Fiona. My beautiful firebird. Your kingfisher and loving husband Peter” between March and May 2009.

The matter has been delayed for various psychiatric assessments and pre-sentence reports to be carried out to assist the judge in sentencing but Oakey, who has remained on bail the entire time, has said he had no confidence in the psychiatrists assessing him and felt the process was carried out unfairly.

A further report was carried out but Oakey was still not satisfied, Basildon Crown Court heard on Monday September 27.

His counsel, Miss Maria Dineen, said: “He feels deeply aggrieved that the law allows the court to act upon written evidence he has had no opportunity to challenge.

“He remains firmly of the view he’s not mentally unwell and does not feel he requires or will benefit from any form of psychiatric treatment.”

Most Read

Judge John Lodge said “I’m prepared to act on the written evidence of psychiatrists but I’m prepared to give you the opportunity to cross examine them if you want to.”

John Livingston, prosecuting, said Oakey had a history of harassment convictions which includes sending numerous letters and material relating to Satan and going to hell to shops including Boots, Sainsbury’s and Powerhouse, as well as Brentwood United Reform Church, a doctor’s surgery in Shenfield Road, Brentwood, and High Wood Hospital, in Geary Drive, Brentwood.

Judge Lodge said he was considering imposing a hospital order under the terms of mental health legislation but adjourned the sentencing until next Thursday, October 7, when psychiatrist Dr Awara will be cross-examined.

Judge Lodge apologised for the further delay but said he wanted to be sure of the information “before taking a step which restricts somebody’s liberty considerably”.