Brentwood Lib Dem leader claims peer review is ‘cobblers’
- Credit: Archant
The leader of the Liberal Democrat council opposition has rubbished claims made by a damning peer review that his group’s behaviour has been “vexatious”.
The report blasted the council’s “dysfunctional reputation” and criticised “frivolous” and “vexatious” requests for information made by some opposition members.
These requests came from members’ inquiries and Freedom of Information (FoI) requests.
But Lib Dem leader Cllr Barry Aspinell showed the Recorder an FoI request that reveals in the past four years, 22 FoI requests submitted to the council came from councillors, and members of the public made 2,133.
Cllr Aspinell said: “It’s a load of cobblers and we have proved it.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m going to demand in the full council meeting to know why it was the case that we weren’t defended by our leader or by the managing director when they had the discussions with the peer review team.
“We should have a retraction of what the review is saying. I expect an apology and a retraction of the statement made.”
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 5 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 6 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 7 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 8 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 9 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer
But Conservative council leader Cllr Louise McKinlay said: “The review is from an independent source, so there is no political motivation behind it.
“The message is clear and stark, and Barry needs to heed the comments, show leadership and sort out the behaviour of his group.
“The dysfunctionality of the opposition needs addressing and Cllr Aspinell as the leader of the main opposition group needs to deal with this properly, not squeak from the sidelines about how unfair it is.”