Brentwood benefits cheat must return taxpayers money
- Credit: Archant
A Brentwood woman has been prosecuted for illegally claiming benefits from the public purse.
Karman O’Callaghan, 33, was overpaid more than £5,000 in housing benefit after she failed to notify Brentwood Borough Council about her changes of circumstances as she moved from her Rollason Way home.
O’Callaghan, who also goes by the surname of Fagg, was sentenced at Basildon Magistrates’ Court last week.
She failed to attend court in December despite the matter being adjourned twice before. She was therefore found guilty in her absence.
A warrant for her arrest was issued so she could be brought to court for sentencing. She must pay back the overpaid money in full.
You may also want to watch:
She must also and do 100 hours of unpaid work, pay £600 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.
Brentwood council’s value for money spokesman, Cllr Chris Hossack, said: “Please don’t cheat the benefits system. It’s unfair to both the hardworking taxpayers who fund the system and of course the people who genuinely need the benefits system to work for them in their time of need.
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 6 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 10 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
“It’s also illegal.”