Brentwood benefits cheat must return taxpayers money
- Credit: Archant
A Brentwood woman has been prosecuted for illegally claiming benefits from the public purse.
Karman O’Callaghan, 33, was overpaid more than £5,000 in housing benefit after she failed to notify Brentwood Borough Council about her changes of circumstances as she moved from her Rollason Way home.
O’Callaghan, who also goes by the surname of Fagg, was sentenced at Basildon Magistrates’ Court last week.
She failed to attend court in December despite the matter being adjourned twice before. She was therefore found guilty in her absence.
A warrant for her arrest was issued so she could be brought to court for sentencing. She must pay back the overpaid money in full.
She must also and do 100 hours of unpaid work, pay £600 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.
Brentwood council’s value for money spokesman, Cllr Chris Hossack, said: “Please don’t cheat the benefits system. It’s unfair to both the hardworking taxpayers who fund the system and of course the people who genuinely need the benefits system to work for them in their time of need.
- 1 Mother's agony after daughter laid dead in Hornchurch flat for six weeks
- 2 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 3 Parking restricted at country park as work starts on Covid woodland memorial
- 4 Scrap 'ludicrous' mandatory vaccination policy, says Rosindell
- 5 Isla Caton 'gains her angel wings' after five-year cancer battle
- 6 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 7 'Use it or lose it': More sign-ups needed to save food delivery service
- 8 Romford tree protest cancelled after campaign success
- 9 Deputy mayor steps in to mark first Covid-19 memorial tree in Havering
- 10 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
“It’s also illegal.”